Wednesday Eight


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
April 8th 2015
Published: April 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Rome:

Slept in as we had train reservations for 11:20. Casual breakfast and a wander through the Pantheon with only a few tourists (we attempted to get in the other day and were repulsed by thousands of people forcing their way into the sanctuary). What a structure! The oculus is beautiful and it is amazing that it has rained into this temple/church for almost 2000 years and it is still exquisite with marble all around. We visited the tomb of Raffael and Vitorrio Emanuel, “founder of Italy” as the tomb proclaims. Peggy went back to the hotel to finish packing while John took a walk through Piazza Navonna. Despite the cold, the streets were beautiful.

Florence:

Caught the fast train to Florence arriving at around 1PM. Settled into our hotel, Hermitage, right off the Ponte Vecchio, and went for a walk. At check-in the manager called the Cantinetta Antinori and set a reservation for 2PM, so we slowly made our way through the crowds to the Straw Market and then to the Palazzo Antinori. Lunch was fabulous with Peggy having a glass of Tignanello and John having the Bolgheri Tenuta Guado al Tasso. Both were excellent. And Antinori has a producer of Brunellos now so we will have to try it.

On our way home we walked past the Duomo, through the streets to the Piazza della Signoria and the Palazzo Vecchio (city hall) and finally to the Ponte Vecchio to find some earings for Peggy’s sister, Mary. We were successful (surprise) and happy with the result. Then back to the hotel to rest a little before taking our evening stroll through the piazzas to watch the crowds and enjoy the music. We are both happy to be in Florence with its warm feeling and great art and architecture. Home and to bed for tomorrow we rise early for a tour of the Vasari Corridor and the Uffizi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.404s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb