Day 32 - Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 1st 2012
Published: May 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today is our afternoon tour of the Vatican so heading out from the hotel we caught the bus down town and got off the bus at the Piazza Venezia opposite the Victor Emmanuelle II monument, the roundabout here is crazy and full of mad Italian drivers in buses taxis. Leaving the busy site we wandered the back streets heading for the famous Piazza Navona where many artists practice their stock and trade. This piazza has 2 amazing fountains and several beautiful churches. Surrounded by cafes we had our morning coffees stop before heading off towards the Vatican. Again strolling the winding back streets of Rome we found our way eventually to the Tiber where we lunch was bought from a small cafes and eaten on the steps by the river. Finishing lunch we walked across the Ponte san Angelo to the Castle San Angelo, home in times past of Popes and kings alike. The castle is connected to the Vatican and current Popes residence by a tunnel and walk way but not open to the public. Arriving at the appointed hour and place we were met by our guide and again no ques for us. Now if you read our last blog of our trip to the Vatican in 2010 you will remember the trouble I got in for supposedly taking a photo of a swiss guard well this time the Vatican treated me rough. My ticket for the entrance did not work in the turn stile and I got left behind by the tour group, unable to gain entrance and with the group disappearing down the corridor I let out a loud whistle to attract their attention. Well that did the trick it got their attention along with the security who were not happy at all with some Kiwi tourist letting out loud whistles in their Vatican. Finally getting through security we toured through the Vatican ending up as usual in the Sistene Chapel. I have to say while St Peters Basilica is obscene in its wealth it is none the less a stunning church. Leaving the Vatican city we wound our way back heading to the Pantheon and the piazza, joining the throng of visitors and locals just enjoying the end of the day. The dome on the Pantheon is quite spectacular and while inside we were treated to a concert by some locals, not sure why but they were great entertainment. Mooching around the area for awhile we found our favourite cafe for dinner, La Scala where we dined outside on, you guessed it, pasta. After dinner and wine we headed off back to the Coliseum so Pam could take night pics. After a long day it was the metro back to the hotel for a well deserved sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb