When in ROME....


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
October 4th 2013
Published: October 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

St. Peter's Basilica, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Roman Ruins, Colosseum, and can't forget gelato.



Rome might have started off in a crazy fashion but we were ready to get out of the hotel the next morning. The sun was up and started the day off perfectly before we had to figure out the bus system. The hotel gave us the stops we needed to get us to St. Peter's Basilica and a map, which helped greatly.

We found our exited for St. Peter's Basilica. We walked along the outside wall and decided are best bet was to follow the Priest ahead of us. We turned the corner and we were right outside Vatican City approaching the center towards the circle of statues. The center was filled with people waiting to go inside St. Peter's, which I wish we had the time to do. We then made our way down the long street to the very end of the Basilica. The site was gorgeous and overwhelming by the fact that I was standing where so many people go as a pilgrimage for religion and even art.

We then made our way across a bridge that was ornately decorated with statues all along the side. We tried to follow the map and soon learn that streets changed names very often. It felt like ever block that we walked we ended up on a new street. We finally found the Pantheon after a few circles. The building was amazing especially after all the Art History courses I have completed that had some relation to this. We were able to talk inside and explore the large room filled from floor to ceiling with detail. Not one part of the building, inside or out, was bare without any design or art.

After a few more circles through the old streets we found the Trevi Fountain, filled with a swarm of people. As we walked closer to the water we could not stop starring at the site of these statues. We made our wish and threw a coin in the fountain in hoping it will come true or that we would one day be able to come back to Rome. We then had to take a moment to soak everything in, so we sat in front of the fountain for about 45 minutes. It was finally the moment that I realized I was in Rome and experiencing what I always thought would only be a dream.

Next on our list were the Ancient Roman ruins and the Colosseum. The ruins were very interesting to actually see. Everything was left completely untouched by society except for the sidewalk that was able to take you throughout the Ancient Roman city. We walked through towards the Colosseum where we could not wait to see even though it was under construction. When we arrived and found out the fee to go inside there was no questioning what we had to do. We only waited in line for about 15 minutes before we bought our tickets and walked inside the Colosseum. This was huge! Words can not describe what we saw and trying to imagine the events that went on here so many years ago. We were able to walk up steep steps the top to look out at different vantage points. We were able to walk around the whole Colosseum inside and out which made the arena feel twice as big. The Colosseum was such an amazing site to see it was hard when we finally had to leave it behind.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb