More Rome - and Pompeii


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 12th 2013
Published: July 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

IMG_3851IMG_3851IMG_3851

Piazza Popolo churches
Day 3



Found our kickoff point for the day trip to Pompeii in ample time so some pics of the expansive Piazza Popolo. Bus trip to Vesuvius was uneventful so to the climb and rim walk of this volcano. It is apparently still active but there was no evidence of that. By all accounts however, it is folly to underestimate the power of this volcano……



Today however, it was safe if not more than a little steep.



Lunch was in Naples – the birthplace of pizzas but if you ask me, they could use a bit of help from Ceasars in Glen Waverley – who clearly have them covered for topping! Anyhow, it was filling.



Then off to Pompeii and the informative tour here. The thing that surprised most was the absolute size of this city. Apparently of 28,000 when it was destroyed. Also not known to your correspondent was that the whole site was until relatively recently completely covered with ash and topsoil which made excellent farmland until a drought hit and they started to drill for water. They got more than they bargained for.

The dates
IMG_3869IMG_3869IMG_3869

Vesuvius - not erupting. Just clouds blowing up the valley.
were mentioned but it was hot and well, you know ……. If you want to know, Google it! Some of the most fascinating revelations were the special arrangements made for the ladies of the night (it was after all a sea port – but did they have boats then??? There has been a complete overload on dates in the past 3 days and it is a complete blur.) These included diagrams above the doors depicting the ladies’ special skills, and special street sign accompaniments directing gents to the houses. Pics of both included.



A quiet sleep on the bus before our arrival at 9pm. A verrry long day.



Day 4

A sleep in of sorts but after a filling breakfast we headed of to see Rome’s cathedral of St Giovanni. To be honest it was a little underwhelming and more than a little difficult to find. Anyway, we managed. Then off to our guided tour of the Vatican. I had seen it previously and was a little cynical, but I must say, we both enjoyed it very much. While it was crowded things moved along nicely. The Sistine Chapel was of course magnificent but with ageing eyes and stiff necks, a little difficult to see. Indeed it was one of those attractions that prompts a ‘how long are we supposed to look at this’ reaction. In the event, 20 mins was more than adequate,



On the other hand, St Peter’s Basilica was outstanding and an hour was barely adequate.



We then headed off to the Trastevere district, Rome’s trendy new but old district updated but caught in a time warp that Gen x’s seem to like. It was interesting. We also took the opportunity to go through another of Rome’s 950 churches (as advised!).



It was a fair way from home so we managed to master Rome’s bus system (as well as the Metro and the tramway).



On transport, one interesting note. This morning a security guard jumped on a packed train and warned us to beware of pickpockets who were in our carriage. I am positive I was targeted by two young girls but I keep my valuables next to my valuables if you get my drift, so there was nothing in my back pockets. Secondly, our group was intercepted
IMGP2868IMGP2868IMGP2868

Piazza Puopolo
as we entered into St Peter’s and again warned by the security officer that they were very active inside. Scary! Then, to top it off, as we came home in the last leg of our trip on a very crowded train, just as we left a station and American guy next to us yelled ‘can somebody help me, my wallet has just been stolen’. I believed him as he had that frantic sound of someone in trouble. Chris and I had both noticed a dodgy looking guy get off (late) at the previous station (which few seem to use) so we were fairly confident that that was our man. In many travels I have not come across this before – but 3 times in one day is scary.



Anyway, it was another eventful and busy day. So tomorrow morning we head off to the Alps for something less stressful but more taxing so that should be fun. We don’t have included wifi there so it may be some time before my next report. Meantime, enjoy the attached pics.



BTW, I am trying not to provide stereotype pics as better can be found on the net at any time. You may as a result, find some of our pics a little strange.



ps Thanks for the nice comments folks.



Enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

IMGP2874IMGP2874
IMGP2874

Vesuvius rim. Note the hikers for size perspective
IMGP2899IMGP2899
IMGP2899

Special skills of the ladies
IMGP2916IMGP2916
IMGP2916

Pompeii over Naples
IMG_3929IMG_3929
IMG_3929

Vatican Museum
IMG_3969IMG_3969
IMG_3969

I like this!


13th July 2013

Glad you are having a good time.Great photos Ian.Hawks had a good win today could be your year? Richard.
13th July 2013

Pa's hearing aids
Hi Pa, why do you have nanna's hearing aids in your ears? Cooper
14th July 2013

pompeii
Hi Guys, Thought Pompeii would interest you. We didn't get to climb Mt. Vesuvius, but certainly were well warned about pickpockets in Naples and on public transport. Keep safe. Den and Tony.
25th July 2013

Great pics
Enjoying your story

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb