Is it bad to tell lies in Vatican City?????


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 26th 2006
Published: July 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well the last time i talked to you all i was in Florence. That day we did a ton of things. Our walking tour took us through the city pointing out the church where Dante, Micheolangeo (i dont know how to spell it haha) and some other famous guy that i canĂ t think of right now. We also walked down a famous bridge that had very exclusive shops that you pretty much had to be invited into and then we carried on to the Droumo church where we climbed 437 steps to the top of the dome to see the whole city of Florence and get some really good pictures. From there we went to a church that wasnt really on our lists of must sees but it had started raining and it seemed like a good place to hide from the storm. The thunder was incredibly loud and made the atmosphere in the church really eerie. The storm wasnt letting up so we rain to a little pizzeria down the street and order some really italian food like ravioli, pizza, bruchetta and spaghetti. By the time the rain had stopped we had very little time so we ran to Micheloganeos house but it was closed so we settled for a picture of us knocking on his door outside. That night was a special contiki dinner in an italian restaurant and we filled up on pasta, bread and wine and then journeyed to a near by pub to end off the night with a couple pitchers of mixed drinks. The next day we drove to Rome (a place that i was really looking forward too). Yesterday we took another walking tour and saw a good portion of our must see sights. We walked around the Colloseum and heard about all the orgies, lion fights and battles that were held there. It was REALLY interesting. Then we went through some old arches and temples, filling up on water every couple blocks because the water in the fountains are from the grottos under the city and are apparently the cleanest in the world. We ended at Trevi fountain where we all through a coin over our shoulders into the fountain to ensure our future return to Rome. We all ate at little alley cafes after and came back to the camp ground where for the first time we went to bed at a fairly reasonable time. Today we tackled the Vatican early in the morning to beat the line (which still ended up being almost 2 hours) we saw the Sistine Chapel, Saint Peters Basillica and walked around the square pointing out Angels and Demons monuments. We ended up lieing to beat the line into the vatican square. We went into an exit meant for only certain tour groups and we lied to the gaurd and said we were just catching up to our group so I may not be on good terms witht he big guy at this point. From there we climbed some steps to see the whole city but im gonna have to get back to you to tell you the name of the building. Then we walked around and stumbled onto the spanish steps where we sat and cooled down in the shade. Its extremely hot in rome today. The last couple of things we did were going to a chapel where a set of steps that are said to have been climbed by jesus when he was about to be crucified are being displayed. The only way you can see them is if you climb them on your knees saying a prayer at every step so my two new cathloic friends taught me a prayer and away we went. Nuns and old ladies crying and praying surrounded us. It was a really weird moment but worth it. The last place we went to was a chapel where the monks back in the 1700s made decorations with bones. So the whole place including the chandliers and tables are made from human bones. it was bizarre but really neat too. Well were back at the camp site now and having a few drinks since tomorrow will be a mostly driving day. We are off to GREECE!!!!! ill drop another line soon.

Advertisement



28th July 2006

Vatican City
Nanny is very proud of you for saying your prayers!!!! lol Sounds like you'll be able to give me some tips on good wine when you return. Wer'e heading up to your cottage tonight for the weekend. Keep having fun!!! (like you need to be reminded) TTYS Luv AUnt Janie

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb