Ancient Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 21st 2006
Published: July 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we didnt start as early as yesterday, thankfully, but headed of to ancient rome and the Coliseum. Managed to navigate our way through Rome's Metro and walked out of the station, to see the Coliseum right in front of us - in all its glory.

This thing is massive!!!!! Its actually amazing how it is still standing, the top part of it looks like it is going to fall down, and incredibly there is a busy road only about 5 metres from one of the sides of this great stucture. All around the area there are weird men dressed in the cheesiest roman costumes you can imagine - all trying to get picutres and then charging for them.

We went for a little walk before we did anything else with the Coliseum, mainly to find a bank, and stumbled on the biggest monument you have ever seen for an un-named soldier. Cathy got told of by the police for sitting on the steps of the monument - bit of a red face!!!

Went back to the Coliseum, and saw the main gate that they would have used to enter the area, and took some photos before heading up to Palatine Hill. Darren did the tour of this but Cathy didnt really want to. Wasnt too bad, saw Circus Maximus and the Stadio inside it, before heading back to the campsite again.

Another day of 40 degree heat again!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb