Queues


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 20th 2006
Published: July 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

even tho we were both up and out of the campsite by 8am, the queues at the Vatican museums were horrendous - they seemed to go on for miles, with probably about a mile worth of people, about 4/5 across.........

Guess what - we didnt bother with it. The end of the queue was right by St.Peter's Square, so we had a look in. As we were looking around in amazement at the structure and the grandure of the place, we noticed a queue building up and people going through an airport scanner, so we had a look and it turned out it was the entrance queue for St.Peter's Basillica and the tombs of the Popes. We did the audio tour of the Basillica, which was good, although a little confusing as the amount of detail itself. The Basillica is like nothing we have seen on this holiday before - and believe me, we'd thought we had seen some churches and structures. It is hard to describe the height and the size of this place, and the paintings and sculptures that are in it.

We then went down and had a look at the tombs of the old Popes, it was weird as many of them never meant much to either of us, until we got to John Paul II. Looking around at some of the grand crypts that some of the older popes had, it was refreshing to see such a simple crypt.

Upon coming out of the tours, we headed down the street opposite St.Peter's Square and crossed the river, before heading back to the metro station. On the way we passed a newsagents which had one of those temp clocks on it and it read 40 degrees - we wondered why we were melting!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb