Europa Day 42


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 23rd 2012
Published: June 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 42

Rome. Busy, hot, people.....

We we're going to do our usual new city trick and catch the hop on hop off bus. We also had the usual housekeeping stuff of washing to do as well. Asked reception about both and we're advised against the bus as the traffic is so busy that you don't get to see lots. Also found a laundromat and washed the clothes. While waiting we did a local market and some more back lanes - or are they just normal streets here....

Back at the hotel and the receptionist gives us some ideas on where to walk today. We start at the Panthenon which is stunning. The shaft of light that fills this 1st century building is amazing - like a spotlight from a stage show. Then onto the Trevi fountain. Lots and lots of people here throwing coins in the fountain. Next is the Spanish steps where the views over Rome are pretty amazing. Try to get our bearings but hard to work out as the rooftops all look the same and there are so many domes of churches that they all start to blend together.

We then move down to the Piazza del Popolo. By this time I think the cathedral/church count is up to around 5. This church even has its own priest giving guided tours to some people. As we walk through the Piazza there are a bunch of women holding a sign and waving excitedly (as all Italians seem to do). Turns out they were greeting their hubbies who had just ridden 2100 km in 21 days on bikes for some cause, so we got to see lots of hugs and kisses spread amongst the bike riders.

This is as far out as we are going so we start back towards the hotel. 2 weddings later we get to the Piazza Navona for a well earned beer and watch the crowds and street entertainers.

Pick a restaurant for tea, then that is it for our first full day in Rome.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb