Roaming around Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
October 23rd 2011
Published: October 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Started out at 10 am and met up with Ali. I first got a lonely planet guide book of Rome. The first guide book I got since Great Britain but since there is just so much to see in Rome I didnt want to miss anything. In the book there were tons of different walking tours so I we picked one and just started on the route. First went to the Presidents House in Palazzo del Quirinale and thought it was free so we waited in line but when we got the entrance it was 5 euros. It had some great rooms in but nothing fancy or anything that I havent seen so far on the trip.

Next stop was to the Trevi Fountain which of course is an amazing fountain and I had to make a wish. Hope it comes true.

Saw two more Plazas on the route then finally hit the Pantheon which is an amazing site. Something great about Rome is that it has all the old ruins within the modern city. Walking into this huge Dome of a church was pretty cool with the oculus giving the only light inside. You can see the ray of sunshine piercing through the darkness.

Off to the Piazza Navona next.... this use to be a stadium where many games were held. Now it is a great place to go for night life with bars and restaurants all around the oval shape plaza and also has the Brazilian embassy.

Next hit another plaza, Campo de' Flori which was a huge market square and then a block away was the French Embassy in the Piazza Farnese where there was a choir singing "In the Jungle." ha

Crossed the Tiber River and went to the top of the Hill in Trastervere. Trastervere had a great view of the city for the eye to see but not so great for the camera. I tried to take a few good panoramic shots but the tress were pretty high. I saw a little puppet show at the top of the hill which was fun to watch in this beautiful park.

The walk back down took us through the alleys of Trastevere with many shops, resturants and bars. We stopped to have some awesome Rice Balls. Inside the rice balls had 5 different types of cheese and rice. MMMM so good.

Walked to the Basilica Di Santa Cecilia in Trastevere. This is one of the oldest churches in Rome. I started to full around with my camera setting here trying to learn some different set ups. It was a beautiful church.

After the churched walked back across the river and along the Circo Massimo. This is where the chariot racing took place like in Ben Hurd. Now it is just a huge park with no signs of the past on it except for the dirt path around the park where people use to run.

Caught the subway back but only after searching for a place to get change since they didn't not take any bills.

We got back to the hostel around 7 pm. We planned to meet back up in an hour but I was so tired I fell asleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0947s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb