This was my favorite day


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 11th 2004
Published: May 11th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Jubilee ChurchJubilee ChurchJubilee Church

This was Miere's new church that was commissioned and opened for the Holy Year that passed in 2000.
Allora,
CAN YOU SAY MODERN ARCHITECTURE. It does exists here in Rome, I know from everything to this point you might have figured Rome quite building a few centries back but this is not the case. Look at what has happened ..lol
The Jubilee Church is a catholic one, commisoned by the Pope in celabration of the last holy year 2000. So it  is a symbolical church in many respects.  The way in which is was constructed, I am not sure the architect was aiming for all this but the cleint says this is how it is so here goes.  The white planes that curve over and shelter the nave of the church represent the Trinity, which also resemble the sails of a ship.  Good eye, that would be because this church is symbolic of the church plowing through the waters into a new century.  The alter inside is a nave, and although the constuction is glass, no light directly enters the nave except on a certain time in the after noon.  This light is most notice in the summer.  So you have the biggest sail, which represents God sheltering his flock from the elements of the world.  Pretty deep huh, well do you think Meier was  concerned with all of this when he started to design?  Maybe.
He is also working on the pavaliion foe the Pace Statue, which is currently haulted becasue there was not a competition for the pavillion.  It seems Meier is pretty popular guy with someone, and they keep on giving him commissions.  Well if you did not know that dosen't sit well here.  SO currently there is a lot of scaffolding in the to be pavillion.
The one building that looks like three purched beetles, is actually Piano's Auditorum.  Very Very nice, the pictures kinda say it them selves.  He is an Italain architect and  as most Italian architects you have to establish yourself someplace else before being commisioned for things in ITaly, this puts most Italians who build here in their 50's or better.  But they are good.
The building with the folding skin (many students were thrilled to find that they had designed something similar in studio. Hint Hint ,,, our teachers love the concept of folding anything, where the ground becomes the ceiling and so on.  SO you might say they were pushed in the right direction by a good teacher) is by an Italain Architect who was given his first commision in Italy and it was the Town Hall for Fumicino.  Also
From the Rationalist .. From the Rationalist .. From the Rationalist ..

A memorial to the Italians who were slagtered in WW II. 10 italians were killed for everyone nazi that was killed in a bombing of nazi building when Italy was occupied.
a very nice building, very intresting in the chioce of materials and how doors are articulated.  If you notice the assembly hall of the building takes its cues from where the builings roof cascades out. Very nice MOMENT ...
The last building is more a memeorial from the rationalist time.  The group that made this was obviously making a statment on the condition of humanity.  You do get a sence of the how the people who were masacured felt.  The weight of the block above you with just a slot of space for the light to poor in is incredible.  The somberness of the place was offset by the kids that had flocked there that day.  So the children do not forget their history, the relatives (direct ones) of those killed were taking a group of students (grade school) around and showing them who was their  relative and retelling the events that happend. 
Well this truely was my favorite day to date. 
Ciao 



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Fumicino City HallFumicino City Hall
Fumicino City Hall

Fumicino's New City Hall
Fumicino's City Hall 1 Fumicino's City Hall 1
Fumicino's City Hall 1

Fumicino's New City Hall
Fumicino's City Hall 3Fumicino's City Hall 3
Fumicino's City Hall 3

Fumicino's New City Hall
Fumicino's City HallFumicino's City Hall
Fumicino's City Hall

Fumicino's New City Hall


Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb