Day 43: Assisi To Roma


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
April 16th 2011
Published: April 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Rising early it was off to find the bus up to Assisi, over time we have come to work out bus timetables in Italian so it was full steam ahead. Arriving in Assisi we were amazed at the richness of the colour of the stone work and the amazing Castle high on the hill above, while a bit of a walk it was well worth the effort. Again dating back to 1200 AD it served as protection for the abbey for centuries and was the site of many blood thirsty battles and sieges, never taken by force. The Franciscan Abbey, Saint Francis of Assisi is amazing with a grand basilica and contains the tomb of the saint himself. A very steep town it is s tough walk but could entertain you for hours. Wandering downwards we caught the bus again down to the camper and it was off to Trevi. Trevi yet another village on the hill was inaccessible to camper vans and we could only view it from a distance. I must say Italy is not as camper friendly as France with many of the great places very hard to get to with a camper and few places to park or overnight. It is quite surprising at just how mountainous Italy really is with little flat land so far at all. Leaving Trevi it was foot down on the motorway for Roma, with 160km to go and 3pm it was a long drive at the end of the day. I must make a note here that the roads in Italy are CRAP, even the motorways are in very poor condition and I want to stress again that the Italian drivers are crazy. Arriving in Roma we are staying in Camping Roma a camp ground some 30 minutes from the Vatican.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb