Fabulous Day in Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
April 8th 2010
Published: April 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


April 8 we started the day off right with a leisurely breakfast with Megan, Danielle, and their two friends they were traveling with at the café associated with our hostel. I had French toast which I was really excited about until I realized it was pretty much bread they had put in the deep fryer. Oh well.

We all made our way to the Roman Forum, where Allison and I got audioguides which was the biggest waste of money ever because we couldn’t figure out where it stared. We had to follow a map around to the other side of the forum to start, but we still weren’t able to start it, so we just started listening to random numbers, but it wasn’t that interesting. It was cool seeing all the old ruins, but it would have been more interesting if there had been signs or something telling me what exactly I was looking at.

We went to lunch and then the Coliseum, which was amazingly large (and I had just finished a book that took place in ancient Rome and had made lots of references to the Coliseum and other old sites in Rome, and the Emperors and all that, which made it even more interesting). And afterwards Allison and I went back to a little market by the Trevi Fountain we had seen the day before to do some souvenir shopping and just relax from all the touristing.

When we were done we met up with Caitlin and Tom who took us to the orangery close to their dorms which had a beautiful view of Rome. They took me and Allison to a cute little restaurant where the menu is handwritten every night with a different variety of foods, and when a certain item runs out they cross it off the menus. I had delicious gnocchi for the first time with freshly made red sauce.

After dinner we went to a little pub for about an hour or so, and then Caitlin and Tom walked us to where we could see the closest metro stop where we waved farewell to them. Unfortunately, when we reached the stop we realized that they had closed 15 minutes before—at 11:30. A woman tried to tell us where to find the bus to take, but we were pretty much in the middle of an intersection where 26 different roads all came together awkwardly, so after a bit of wandering and realizing we would never be able to find our bus, we hailed a cab to take us back to the good ol’ Yellow Hostel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Temple of Apollo. Temple of Apollo.
Temple of Apollo.

Not much left...


29th April 2010

Rome
Wherever you go, you seem to meet up with friends or make new ones! What fun! Looks like Rome treated you right.

Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb