Backpacking Europe 2006 - Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 14th 2006
Published: February 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

St. Peter's BasilicaSt. Peter's BasilicaSt. Peter's Basilica

a different point of view
Day 7 & 8

Arrived: Termini Station - Rome, Italy (early morning)

Accommodation: Alessandro Palace Hostel
• first impression = conveniently located, too much stairs
• room type = 4 person room
• shower = shared in room
• tip = ask for a room on the first couple of floors to avoid walking up flights of stairs with luggage

Gone.. Go Trippin'

Hostel- Alessandro is walking distance from Termini train station. Here we go again arriving early and not being able to check in. Luckily, we're about a week into our trip and we've piled up some laundry so we dropped off our backpacks at the hostel and went to a nearby laundry mat. By the time we finished, we were able to check in. Unfortunate for us, we had to lug our backpacks up millions of flights of stairs. Our room, which we shared with 6 others, was extremely comfortable. Once we settled in and washed up, we headed out for lunch before doing all the touristy stuff!
Transportation- Best way to get around town is via their underground metro. It gets really crowded so hold on to your belongings and be alert. However, as convenient as the subway
Pizza BaffettoPizza BaffettoPizza Baffetto

not so signature pizza Baffetto
was, we preferred walking. Rome underground is not nearly as exciting as above ground. Note-- Rome is totally doable by foot. From Termini to the Vatican (one end to the other), it's about a good 20 minute walk provided you don't get lost or slow down for all the sights in between.
Day 1- We hit up the Coliseum and the Forum late in the day near closing hours to avoid lines and crowds. Practically had the place to ourselves. Afterward, we trotted over to the Pantheon before retreating to Piazza Navona for the evening. Dinner was around the corner down the alley at the famous Pizzeria Baffetto. Don't be deterred by the line. This is the one line you're going to want to get in. Definitely try the Margherita pizza. Avoid the signature pizza Baffetto. There's something seriously wrong with a pizza that has over 5 toppings including an egg. Yuck. After dinner, as much as we wanted to spend the rest of the evening bar/ pub hopping around Piazza Navona, we were swamped and went back to our hostel to cap off a great day.
Day 2- The Vatican- St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museum (Sistine Chapel). Although the line for St. Peter's appear long, but it went by fast. Proper attire is a must here so no sleeveless shirts or short shorts/ skirts. Note-- If you are claustrophobic, do not go up to the dome at the top of St. Peter's Basilica. The spiral narrow staircase are strenuous and once you're in, there is no turning back. As you exit the Basilica heading towards the Vatican Museum, there is a pizza shop on the way that we were fortunate to have stumbled upon. Can't remember the name but its after the overpass and two mini alley blocks to the right. We ordered and sat on mats along the front steps of the shop. One of our most memorable unplanned meals.
The line for the Vatican Museum was absolutely horrendous. We must have been in line for 3 hrs. There's a gelato shop across the street. Go for it; you'll need it. By the time we got inside, we wanted out. They certainly don't make it easy to just go see the Last Judgement by Michelangelo. It's at the end of this giant corn maze. In the end, there must have been hundreds of people crammed into this warehouse- type room with no fans, no windows and no air. Don't get me wrong, it's a must to see but the experience getting there is anything but pleasant.
Spent midday and late afternoon in and around the Spanish Steps. This is a great place for shopping if you have the cash. If not than I suggest you take the time to break and chill on the "Steps" like the locals. Sit back and enjoy the view. We decided to squeeze in the Trevi Fountain before calling it a day.

Do's & Don'ts

DO check the Vatican Museum's hours of operation.

DON'T forget you order pizza by weight so try a little bit of everything. My favorite was the potato pizza-- thin slices of potatoes on crust and no sauce. Delicious. Note-- Pizzeria Baffetto is by the whole pizza. Generally one pizza per person. It's doable plus you can share with one another.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

More PizzaMore Pizza
More Pizza

the only problem is the selection process but you can have them all
Spanish StepsSpanish Steps
Spanish Steps

Where's Waldo?


Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb