3 months down - half way through my trip


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
January 5th 2009
Published: January 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well first 3 months are down and so much has happened.

I spent the first month really taking in all the attractions....again and trying my hardest to learn the language but as soon as my social network over here developed, that all changed and i started to actually live here which was good.
Instead of going to the touristy places ive been doing as the romans do...drinking those weird tiny coffees at the counter in family run coffee shops, eating in the restaraunts down the side streets that also have that family run feeling and staying well away from the touristy places.

Work has been going so well, meeting sooooo many people from all over the world and all they want to hear about is my experience here in Rome, why im here, what im doing, what Ireland is like etc. I love chatting to people about all this so getting paid to do it is a bonus....irish hospitality etc!

The last 3 months have really been a rollercoaster of emotions, meeting new people, building relationships, then saying goodbye, falling in love..then saying goodbye, going through the nervousness when i travel outside my comfort zone and end up getting kicked off a bus in the middle of nowehere...which was nerve wracking. But its all part of why im here...to adventure, try new things, just get up off my ass and explore what rome and italy has to offer!

The hardest thing i find is working enough to get my rent up, pay the bills and also try have some sort of social life....while still paying the direct debits from back home. I definetely am not saving any money over here, just surviving...but im really enjoying it and looking back 4 months ago about thinking whether this move was for me....i was sooo lucky i decided to come coz its been amazing. Its really opened my eyes now to start travelling more....the world os such a big place and theres so many people out there, so many different cultures, so many experiences to enjoy, languages to learn, things to see.......ive got the travel bug now so i dont know where the next few years will take me.
Ive options now from the people ive been meeting about going to barcelona, germany, canada and the states so watch this space.

The whole language thing is funny coz when i try to speak it here...most of the time, italians will answer me in english....or they will speak really fast and i ended up reverting back to english....but its all about practise and trying hard...even if what you are saying is broken...people will correct you and thats how ye learn. It doesnt help matters working in an irish bar coz everyone speaks english here.

Well im getting distracted by customers now in the bar so ill write up again with better info on experiences soon....


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb