And We're off.....!!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 3rd 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we're off.........!
We hit the airport in Edmonton @ 9:30am and were super excited to actually be going on a the holiday that had been in the works for quite awhile : )) From Edm-Toronto-Munich-Rome. Once we landed at Rome we exited to where all the drivers were waiting with signs held up.....hmmmm...where's ?? Oh, I see my name.....then there was the first problem. The driver we'd arranged through the hotel said he was told there were only going to be 2 people & we did not have "normal" luggage(he said normal luggage was 1 carry on). The problem was we had 4 in our party. 4 Canadians going on an 11 night cruise in a few days with 1 carry on and 1 large bag each. Plus the other couple had a laptop, camera case, and a walker. The car was what I soon learned, typical european size. Or in my mind...a petite little car. AAAAccckkk! What to do? Well after arguing with the driver who was insisting on payment for showing up--payment of more than was agreed upon when arrangements were made from Canada I might add (I sent him packing VERY quickly as I was NOT a happy camper to find us in a pickle after such a long day...and after just arriving on a dream holiday) we noticed car kiosks directly across from where we were. We were quickly sorted out and carried on our journey to the hotel in a normal (Canadian normal : P ) sized van that held us all comfortably.
My first impressions of Rome were of the drivers. Crazy!!!! We arrived at our hotel (Residenza Canali right by the Piazza Navona) and were very impressed. I had researched the entire holiday and found it on Tripadvisor-chosen because I wanted something with character and that was near all the sights we wanted to take in. We went for a bite to eat at a restaurant Antonio at the hotel had recommended-it was only a few doors down from us so nice and handy but nothing special. We took a walk to the Piazza Navona afterwards and saw tons of artwork on display and also scoped out an outdoor restaurant that we wanted to try the next night. My first night in Rome and I was just taking it all in.....being here finally : )


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Looking down stairwell of Residenza CanaliLooking down stairwell of Residenza Canali
Looking down stairwell of Residenza Canali

I can't remember exactly how many stairs (we counted!) to our room which was on the top floor...but it was a lot, and they are marble, and they wind, and wind, and wind around...oh, boy...now I'm dizzy!
Looking down on our VerandaLooking down on our Veranda
Looking down on our Veranda

Our rooms verandah...Cutie climbed on the roof for this shot.
Piazza NavonaPiazza Navona
Piazza Navona

The beautiful Piazza Navona was an unexpected treat!
ArtworkArtwork
Artwork

One of many artists displaying their work
The Secret GardenThe Secret Garden
The Secret Garden

In the neighbourhood of hotel
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Beautiful....another hotel just off the Piazza Navona


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb