Ciao From Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 26th 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ciao Folks, sorry about the gap in communication we have been flat stick doing the tourist thing and there has also been a shortage of wifi hot spots for us to update from!
Well its all true from what we have experienced- Italy and the italians have got it all going on!
As long as you can avoid all the worst tourist rip off spots and go local which is easily done its fantastic.

We left Turkey early and via Bulgaria and Malta which was lovely arrived to beautiful late summer weather in Italy and a neat apartment with park across the road which Ben made himself home in with the football.
Julia looks like a local already too and is going well!

Having joked with the kids prior to arrival in Rome that the Pope would probably welcome us personally, we rolled into St peters square from our apartment via the metro which we had sussed nicely- and completely unknown to us and most of Rome the dear old pontiff decided to make his first mid morning showing in the square for 5 months!!! How cool, news travels fast and we were soon joined by one or two others as photos show ( and none do justice to the occasion, sites or art !)

After Il papa's gig we did a guided tour of Vatican museum, the Basilica and St peters church ( capacity 40,000 punters for a full house).
The artwork and statues along with Sistine chapel and sheer size and richness of the Basilca were overwhelming, young italian guide was awesome in detail scope passion and humore throughout we all had to have a bit of a coldie and break after that day, Top effort Rome and the Vatican see assorted images.
Next stop tuscany 160 kms north of Rome by train from Europes largest train station Romes Termini an experience itself, the villiage of Sarteano and the only family at a massive camping ground staying the night in an up market caravan, way too close for Debs comfort to camping but medieval castle and fantastic family restaurant inside 700 year old home was a winner as was having soccer pitch and pools to self (could have fit twice the school in here, great place for senior camp just got to sort out the funding!!)

Early escape from Camp and decide to head for Florence as got great deal on apartment in medieval centre of city ( free wifi as well yay) fun and games on the italian trains and here we all are , will shoot down to give the leaning tower of Pisa a push over weekend and watch some foootball Ben has eye on Florence vs Inter Milan! Girls have eye on some jewellery and the Gelato remains Yummy!

All the Best looking forward to catching up with family in Sydney after Dubai next week then heading for what we believe is now shield country ( Well done the Lions huh) Go the Warriors and thanks for comments Pen and the lads! Look forward to catching up. The Woodys


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Surviving SarteanoSurviving Sarteano
Surviving Sarteano

Camping and great chefs


26th September 2008

Hi guys.
How amazing! I love Rome! And Deborah you did so well nearly camping. Nothing like travel to push you out of your personal comfort zone. Can't wait to hear all about the travels in person - has everyone had their one meltdown so far? Much love Kerre and Tom
28th September 2008

Dudes
Dudes - how awesome - reading your blogs is fantastic - having just come back from Turkey it is great to relive through your blogs especially Gelibolu. Take care and see you back in NZ - unless of course you are planning another stopover in Xi'an ?- Petrice and the boys are back next week from China for a few months. Oh yeah - the shield thing - I thought you were still a staunch Waikato supporter Woody?! I hope you're not changing allegiance because Waikato has only just broken into the top 8 this weekend?

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb