Italy with Kids - Rome recap


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 6th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The train and bus system is great, but be prepared to search around for the right lines. Unlike in Perth where you can get combined route map and timetables for each service, readily available, Rome appeared to lack this. Tripping around Rome on public transport is doubly difficult as you will be unfamiliar with the place names.

The Roma Pass is great if you are also doing museum visits, as it includes two free entries (but not to the Vatican museum). If not visiting museums, use the multi or day tourist passes.

Gelati and pizzas are available everywhere. Expect to pay €1.80 - €3.00 for a gelati, the higher price at the souvenir stands outside the main attractions. Pizzas €5.00 - €6.00 (no sit down). Two pizzas/ pizza slices was enough for us family of four with two primary school kids for lunch.

Water is readily available all over Rome at the 'nasalo' (noses), so called because they look like noses. We saved our drink bottles and refilled them at these fountains. (Undrinkable water is labelled “non potabile”).

Overall we found Rome not really kid friendly, in the sense of having things oriented to young kids like playgrounds or play fountains. We compensated by
- Letting them use the digital camera. The kids will see things you don't, and they may get some good shots in. The bad shots can be deleted.
- Make souvenir hunting/ collecting a part of the visit
- Gelati!
- and of course do buy the two excellent books “Rome With Kids” by J.M Pasquesi and Open Roads “Italy With Kids” .

Total spent? Being reasonably frugal with meals, but free with drinks and gelati, and including some standard cheap souvenirs, we still clocked up €680.00 over the four days, not including accomodation. Let's hope the next few weeks show a more economical side!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb