Italy with Kids - Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 6th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

6 Sept 2008

The day started with a slightly cooler breeze today, which disappeared mid-morning as we were traversing the Palatine Hill.

After the usual sweet breakfast and wonderful coffee, we headed to Termini and hunted around for the bus to Colloseo. €4.00 each adult for a day pass.

Although we'd planned an early start, we didn't get to the Colloseum until around 10am, where a huge line was already formed. We were approached by a man offering a guided tour for €12.00 per person plus entry, but we declined. Instead, as per the guide books we headed off to the Palatine Hill entrance, 200m down the road where there was a very short line. As we were already there, we decided to see the Palatine first and hired two audio guides for €4.00 each. Kids had to pay full price of €11.00 each.
Hint: get one audioguide for the family. One member can listen and repeat the guide out loud while you're walking along.

Not being history or ruins buffs, I'm sorry to say we found the Palatine Hill a bit dry. And hot. The kids found a few cute lizards, and they were interested in walking through the domus' connecting tunnels where Caligula was thought to have been assassinated.



So with two hot, thirsty kids in tow, we left the Palatine and grabbed gelati and drinks and headed for the Colloseum. Our visit was short. Like the Palatine Hill we didn't really have a zest for the Colloseo, but we did get some nice photos of us looking around, surrounded by 1000s of others doing the same.



After another rest in our room, we headed off to Aquapiper, one of a couple of water parks in Rome. Our instructions were to take the train towards Rebbibia, then catch a “Cotral” bus which stops at Aquapiper, on the way to the Tivoli Gardens.

The train was fine, in fact very colourful but the Cotral service was like a coachline and our Metro passes weren't valid. €4.00 each return and then a long ride, hoping that the driver would stop at Aquapiper. He didn't. I saw a large sign flashing past and quickly hit the stop request button. We were dropped off at a charming little church about 500m up the road, and then walked back along the narrow road to the entrance.



Aquapiper was excellent. We arrived after 3pm, so only paid €5.00 per adult with the kids under 10 free. (normal admission €16.00 - but they have two-for-one passes so try to get hold of one of these if you go earlier). Aquapiper has two really large pools, giant gorillas, model elephants, a set of toddler's slides and a set of large adult slides. Note: mind your backs as the large slides have rough joins - they should have mats like the Kalamunda water park in Perth. I saw a few people with grazes on their backs from the slides. There is also two hot food stands, a video game parlour, bag lockers, and very cheap market stall with hats, hair ties, necklaces and the like.

Hint 1: Arrive after 3pm for discounted entry
Hint 2: They have a gratuito (free) bus service from Piazza Del Republico in Rome central.

Then the drama: waiting for our bus to show up to pick us up! One arrived as expected at 6pm, but the driver said “No Roma”. So we waited a further half hour for the right bus and finally after bus and train got back to our room just before 7.30pm.



A couple of simple pizzas provided dinner.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb