Roman Swarms of Bees


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 14th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One thing that keeps me laughing as I have been walking around is all the scooters. At the front of the queue at the lights there will be a bunch of scooters, revving the engine waiting to go, then when the lights change its like a swarm of bees buzzing down the road as they weave around each other. I'm comfortable now with the 'showing eye contact shows you are weak' when it comes to crossing the road... just look forward and walk... you will know how close it was by the rushing of wind behind you as they go past. And no the rush of wind isn't from me farting Vicki.

Went to the Vatican yesterday, did the museums so I could see the sistine Chapel, and a tour so I didnt have to stand in the rain for 2 hours. Overall pretty disappointing and not worth the money. Just check out some pics of the Sistine Chapel or buy the postcard, its just a big empty box with painted walls. Full of people talking. And schoolkids being dickheads. Didnt make it up to the dome, I needed to sit down as my back was killing me from all the walking around, so took a few pics from the Square then had a rest.

Down to Castel Sant Angelo, that was pretty good, and a great view as well. Rain had cleared off a bit too. Wandered across Rome stopping at a few places like when Ceasar was killed (in Pompey's thing he built on the Campus Martinus) and ducked into some churches. Im not religious but churches here are great... damn impressive with the size and decorations, and the relative silence compared to the traffic outside - great.

Wandered around last night taking a few nights pics of the Colossseum, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, etc.

This morning went checked out the Pyramid and Baths of Caracalla, they arent on the main tourist list but should be, I loved it. Was trying to get to San Giovanni to check out the cathedral there but got sidtracked by an English couple down the Via Appia and to the catacombs. My recommendation: catch a bus. Its a few kms walk, which you can handle, its the fucken nutcases driving on that road that are the problem. Buses missing you by halk a foot, that sort of shit.

San Sebastien catacombs were pretty cool but the tour was a bit rushed. Walked around some more then found a bus to the Metro and San Giovanni. Much more impressive that the Vatican setup I reckon. From there walked back towards the centre and checked out another huge church around the corner from the hostel, San Maria il G...... something I think. Mass was on too, so singing and things, was very peaceful.

Free pasta at the hostel in 35 mins... man Im hungry. Not sure what Ill do tomorrow, see how I recover from todays walking

Off to Gragnano on Friday morning

sore and tired signing out

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb