Ahhhh Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 12th 2008
Published: May 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrived at the airport and jumped on the train into Rome (11 Euros thanks). Seems NSW doesn't have the monopoly on trains stopping for no reason, the train stopped several times in the middle of nowhere. There was a USAF Galaxy at the airport, damn thats a huuuge plane. I hadn't slept for over 40 hours but I was feeling all excited.

Got the hostel around 8am and checked in, had a look to see when some walking tours were running and try to get a plan of attack to see the many attractions in Rome. Started chatting with Maira, a Brazilian girl who had arrived at the hostel the same time as I did, and she wanted a coofee so we decided to go for a walk. It was just to stretch the legs before having a sleep... instead we ended up walking and half of Rome lol.

I never understood what Dad had always said about walking through Rome and then bang! it's there. We were walking through a park and wondering if we should stop and investigate the Domus Aurea ruins then bang! there's the Colosseum at the bottom of the hill, just like Dad said. I don't need to describe it here, just say that it is pretty damn impressive. You really notice all the holes in it, which it turns out are from metal spikes that were used to attach the finishing surfaces but were hacked out by locals during the Industrial Revolution. And the travertine that had been used to finish it had earlier been "recycled" to use on St Peters Basilica.

The Arch of Constantine is pretty impressive as well, triumphal processions passed through on their way into the Forum. From here we walked past the entrance to the Palatine Hill to what remains of the Circus Maximus. Would have been impressive back when it was in action - 250,000 people seated on marble benches cheering on the chariot races. Nowadays its a park with plenty of people walking dogs, jogging, etc.

There was big lineup at the Santa Maria in Cosmedin church which houses the Mouth of Truth, so we kept going along the Tiber and across via the Isola. Was interesting to note how high it was built up, there must be a good flow of water coming through during a flood. By now we were both feeling a little hungry and checked out a few restaurants / cafes on the Trastevere side but they were all a bit expensive so we kept wandering up to the Ponte Sisto and back across the river, following the flow of people going for a Sunday afternoon walk.

That took us to the Campo Fiori. What a shame we don't have things like this is Australia. Great atmosphere with people sitting around at cafes or on anything available, eating, drinking, socialising, small market selling stuff... and no teenagers riding skateboards around and annoying people anywhere, and no bums or smackies hassling people for money. Checking out the noise of kids took us in to the Piazza Farnese where lots of kids were playing in different games of soccer, watched by their parents. (And no parents going on a rant either lol).

The flow of people then took us to the Piazza Navona, a much bigger square but with slightly less atmosphere despite the efforts of the old guys band busking. People everywhere here as well. The fountain in the middle was covered in scaffolding due restoration work.

Down another side street following other people. I could tell it was another piazza with something it in from the people I could see taking photos but was ready for walking around the corner and having the massive Pantheon right there. It looks big in the photos but they don’t really do justice to how big it feels when you see it there with the other buildings squeezing in around it. My favourite moment of the Rome part of my trip. There was something going on inside with lots of people around, so we kept walking down the street where the rest of the people seemed to be going, which led us to the Via del Corso and then the Monument to Victor Emanuelle II, or Il Vittoriano.

Not quite sure why the thing was built but it seems a bit over the top. Taller than anything else around, gleaming white, and doesn’t seem to be for anything really. There’s a nice view from the top though. From here its just across the road to see Trajan’s Column and the Forum of Augustus.

Went past the Trevi Fountain on the way back to the Pantheon. Two impressive things here - the fountain itself and the amount of people squeezed in the space around it. And of course one Indian guy selling some crappy bubble blower than no one wanted to know about. We were feeling pretty hungry by now, so on the walk back to the Pantheon we grabbed some pizza and sat in the piazza eating it. The amount of people there had died off a lot by now, so we went in and had a look - pretty damn impressive.

From here we went via Piazza Montecitorio on to the Via Del Corso again then up Via Nazionale to Piazza della Repubblica, then back to the hostel. We had set out for a short walk but ended up getting back to the hostel about 6 hours later. Lack of sleep was kicking in by now so it was time for a shower then a short kip. Made sure I had the alarm set so I didn’t sleep too long, then got up and grabbed some take-away for dinner and ended up going back to bed about 21:30. By now my feet and knees were sore from walking and my neck sore was looking around not only at the tourist sights but it seemed every hot Roman girl was out strutting her stuff as well.

So far Italy would have to be the most random place I have been to for a developed country... people parking where they want, driving how they want, crossing the road wherever... rules? What are they?


Advertisement



14th May 2008

Sweet
G'Day mate, Glad to see you go there in one piece! So you mentioned the good looking Roman Girls, well it must explain your sore neck :) Look forward to reading more of your travels

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb