Second Semester abroad


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
January 31st 2008
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

So i just decided now that it is second semester that I should be blogging all of this somewhere so everyone back home (that wants to) can keep up with what's going on over here. I hope that everyone enjoys the pics and journals!!

I will try to add some stuff from first semester on here when I get some time to think about all that I did.

I arrived here on Sunday, January 19th and school started Monday, January 20th. This semester I am taking 17 credit hours. I am taking Religion, English, Italian Language and Literature, Italian Cinema, and Philosophy. So far all of my classes are going well minus the fact that my Italian Cinema teacher seems like he is on drugs or something!! Haha.

My first weekend here all the new girls had to go on tours throughout Rome, and since we have already did all of them last semester, we do not have to do them. So all the returnees went on a little tour of our own. We went to many churches and then to Boca della Verita. It is a face sorta thing that is front of a church...and the myth of it is, is that if you stick your hand in the mouth and you are telling a lie, then your hand will be bitten off, but if you are telling the truth then nothing will happen. So we did that and then went to a place where there is like a bunch of orange trees and you can get the most amazing view of Rome!! After that we went to this other place where you look into a keyhole of a building and you can see St. Peters Basilica perfectly!!!! It was SO awesome!!!

The next day, Sunday, we went to tour the palace where the Italian President lives and where the Pope lived back in the day. Now that the Italian government just fell there is no longer a president, but it was still cool seeing the palace! In the palace there was a bunch of stolen artwork that Italy just recovered from all over the world, so we got to see all of that as well. It was mainly vases made of marble, that was painted and decorated with many things from Greek Mythology.

This week school went by fast in English all semester we read books by the Italian writers, but have been translated into English. So right now we are reading a book called If This Is A Man by Primo Levi. It is about an Italian-Jew and how he survived the Holocaust. It is really sad, and it really hits home knowing that so many people from all over Italy and all over Europe suffered so severely and so many lives were lost.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

key holekey hole
key hole

this is the key hole that we looked through in order to see St. Peter's Basilica
St. Peters!St. Peters!
St. Peters!

this is what we saw after looking through the hole
QurinaleQurinale
Qurinale

where the presidents resides


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb