Contiki Journey so far.....


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
April 9th 2007
Published: April 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well I haven't had a chance to update our blog for awhile, as we have been very busy travelling around Europe on our Contiki Tour. It has been fantastic and we are really enjoying ourselves, though we are a bit tired.

Amsterdam was an experience. A new culture there definately, went to the Anne Frank house and had a River Cruise (with all you can drink!). Yes Greg - we now know what you mean by Amster-damage!! We had a very quick tour through the Red Light District - definately an eye-opener!!!

The next stop was the Rhine Valley in Germany. What a beautiful area and the vineyards are particularly interesting. Not sure how they harvest the grapes when the vines are on a 60 degree angle from the ground. We got to taste some wine from the region and saw the biggest free standing cookoo clock in the world.

Still in Germany where we then stopped into Munich. Well we now know why they are called the Beer Drinking city. With drinks only served in 1 Litre steins it made for a very interesting night! Especially when Daniel drank 5 of them...... We went to the HB house and drank with the Bavarians and sampled their food. Mmmm.... Pork Knuckle with Gravy and Potato Dumplings! Doesnt sound to flash but it did taste good.

Then onto our next stop was Austria, which I think has been my favourite so far. The austrian alps were amazing and both of us got to see our first Snow and throw our first snow ball!!! The views from the top of the austrian alps were amazing. The Alp we climbed up was a total of 1500metres above sea level. That night it was party..... As it was our bus drivers birthday we all party well into the early hours (even without the bus driver - he needed his beauty sleep). We also went to the Swarovski crystal museum... amazing what they can do with crystal.

We are currently in Italy, yesterday stayed in Venice. Here we had a tour around the city via a Gondala, and was serenaded by the Gondala driver. Went to a glass blowing demonstration where we saw a guy create a horse and a vase. Also, we did a bit of shopping - not a good idea for Adele - as I ended up buying some new Prada sunglasses.

Yesterday afternoon we arrived in Rome. Where we had a tour of the main sites including the Pantheon, the Fontana di Trevi (yes Mum - I threw a coin in for you), Palazza Spagna and the Colosseum and St Peters Church at night. This morning we had a Roman History tour and the Tour Guide was definately full of knowledge..... This afternoon we have had some free time to check out the sites for ourselves. We have been to the St Peters church again to see inside. WOW!!! It is extremely big and absolutely stunning inside. I have lots of photos for you to see. We are now stopped in an Internet cafe to rest our tired feet before we set of again for more site seeing. We are going to see the Capuchin Monks (and how they used the bones of monks to decorate - a bit weird!) and then the Scala Santa (Jesus Steps) - supposedly where Jesus walked up to his crucifiction.

At this stage in Italy we have not had any issues with Pick Pocketers - touch wood. Although, a couple of the other guys on our tour havent been so lucky. I think we have both been a bit paranoid and have been very suss about everyone that walks near us - its quite an experience. The beggers on the street are funny - they cry and howl at you and shake their money tins but then you see their brand new shoes on their feet!

Well will be exhausted by the end of today and will need a good sleep. Tomorrow we set off early to Switzerland and into the Swiss Alps.....

Speak to you soon.

Ciao Adele & Daniel

Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb