still continued


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
March 11th 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The catacombs. They are something I had wanted to do but assumed we would not have time for (I should stop doubting my abilities to see entire metropolises in just over a day). Rather than taking a quick bus, we notice we can walk to the Appian Way (historic for any latin student) in just three miles.... catacombs close from there. Somehow, the map does not illustrate that pedestrians really should never go that way. It was like a one way street with walls containing the single avenue. Then add cars trying to pass both ways and two Americans crammed against one wall, inching along, and you have us. We then followed signs (again, going the wrong way) to the catacombs, but apparently through the lawn of someones private villa. The catacombs were fun... probably not worth the treck and 5 euro cost, if not for our great (unintentionally) tour guide. Cluelessness plus hilarious voice inflections equals me and bradley giggling, then cracking jokes and any within earshot loves. We called her sister wendy, because she explained it all. Our favorite joke involved sister wendy over explaining the simple... the definition of a martyr: "someone who dies before they want to." (Its better with our voice inflections). We (smartly) bus back to the city to make reservations for the train out in the morning. I have a whole Italian spiel for getting these. Translated, I believe it sounds something like this "I have Eurail. I need reservation. This train" I then point to the train and time we want on a schedule. Its good fun.

Next we people watch, wander at dusk, and pick out a place for dinner. We end up at a prix fix place with a motto... "you will eat what we want to feed you." Five courses later (with wine), we are very very happy. The service was great and the place was run by the perfect old italian lady shouting at everyone like it was her home kitchen.

mmmm.... homemade pasta.

A night walk home, we sleep, and grab the early train to naples.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb