Roma, Vaticano, & Pompei


Advertisement
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
December 16th 2006
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took an extraordinarily last-minute trip to the Eternal City for our third wedding anniversary. Our trip begins with a short drive south to the Baden-Airpark, and sixty miles from home we settle in with some coffee to wait on our flight. This was a very small airport, but still the first flight for us in awhile. After a bus ride from the terminal, we are swept along in the mad mob literally... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Vatican CityThe Vatican City
The Vatican City

St. Peter's Basilica. La Pietà is to be found inside the basilica. However, due to some unfortunate vandalism, it is now behind glass.
The Vatican CityThe Vatican City
The Vatican City

St. Peter's Basilica. Here you can see the Baldachin that is the alter of the Pope and rests upon the burial spot of St. Peter. Above that is the egg-shaped dome reaching 400 feet / 120 meters high and 138 feet in diameter.
The Vatican CityThe Vatican City
The Vatican City

St. Peter's Basilica.
The Vatican CityThe Vatican City
The Vatican City

St. Peter's Square. We met construction everywhere in Rome.
The Villa MediciThe Villa Medici
The Villa Medici

We took a walk up to the Villa Medici, but unfortunately could not tour the villa nor the grounds.
The Spanish StepsThe Spanish Steps
The Spanish Steps

Here I am on the Spanish Steps. Again: scaffolding. The Steps, built in 1772, lead up to the Church of the Trinità dei Monti, built in 1495. The Steps are a popular hangout, kind of "the place to be."
Capitol HillCapitol Hill
Capitol Hill

A sacred spot to the Romans of long ago, Capital Hill still functions as a Municipality of Rome. In the center of the courtyard you can see a large equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius, the original of which is inside the famous Capitol Hill Museum, located to the right.
Capitol HillCapitol Hill
Capitol Hill

The Capitol Hill Museum.
Capitol HillCapitol Hill
Capitol Hill

The Capitol Hill Museum. The She-wolf nursing Romulus and Remus. The wolf is an Etruscan work from the 5th century B.C., made to represent Rome, and during the Renaissance, a Tuscan sculptor added the babies.
Capitol HillCapitol Hill
Capitol Hill

The Capitol Hill Museum. Medusa. There was so much emotion here, even from the snakes.
Capitol HillCapitol Hill
Capitol Hill

"The Senate and People of Rome." A statue near the steps of Capitol Hill of a defender of the Republic.
The PantheonThe Pantheon
The Pantheon

The Pantheon during the day. And me.
The PantheonThe Pantheon
The Pantheon

The Pantheon Square.
The PantheonThe Pantheon
The Pantheon

The Pantheon was built in 27 B.C. to honor all gods (pan - theos). What is so spectacular about this building is the perfect circle that fits inside its walls - from the floor to the oculus and from one wall to the other spans a diameter of 142 feet / 43 meters. The oculus, the hole in the ceiling, is 30 feet in diameter. Of course, they were cleaning the floors during our visit and so the green fencing thwarted our obtaining a photograph that showed the Pantheon from the floor to the oculus.
The Castle Sant'AngeloThe Castle Sant'Angelo
The Castle Sant'Angelo

The Castle Sant'Angelo was originally built in 123 A.D. as a Mausoleum for Emperor Hadrian, but transformed over the years to gain its castle status in the 10th century and its name a hundred or so years later.
The Castle Sant'AngeloThe Castle Sant'Angelo
The Castle Sant'Angelo

The castle borders the Tiber River, and the arches of the bridge are original Roman arches.
The Castle Sant'AngeloThe Castle Sant'Angelo
The Castle Sant'Angelo

A tower from the castle and a statue on the Ponte Sant'Angelo bridge. Each angel on the bridge carries something representative of the Passion of Christ.
St. Peter's BasilicaSt. Peter's Basilica
St. Peter's Basilica

A view of the Vatican from the Castle Sant'Angelo.
The Trevi FountainThe Trevi Fountain
The Trevi Fountain

One last visit to the Trevi Fountain.
The Snowy AlpsThe Snowy Alps
The Snowy Alps

A view of the Alps from the airplane as we depart Italy. Those specks on the window are icicles.



12th March 2007

Ahhh... scaffolding!
Ahhh, there is scaffolding behind the Spanish steps!!! As a fan of Rome's chaos, I love the write up and pics. When my site goes live, will you contribute??? I'll give yo man mo details when he arrives. Ciao.
12th March 2007

Outstanding
What a wonderful job you did of travel blogging! Thanks for all the photos and thanks for taking the time to do this for us. I am wanting to go to Italy so badly! I have book marked your travel blog so I can continue reading for later. Anyway, thanks again. You took my breath away.

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb