Roma, Vaticano, & Pompei


Advertisement
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
December 16th 2006
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took an extraordinarily last-minute trip to the Eternal City for our third wedding anniversary. Our trip begins with a short drive south to the Baden-Airpark, and sixty miles from home we settle in with some coffee to wait on our flight. This was a very small airport, but still the first flight for us in awhile. After a bus ride from the terminal, we are swept along in the mad mob literally... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Rome by NightRome by Night
Rome by Night

The Pantheon at night. We got lost a couple of times on our nighttime excursion across Rome. Many things in this city are hidden from the main roads.
Rome by NightRome by Night
Rome by Night

Trajan's Column. This column rises 140 feet in the air and is covered with 2,500 carved figures. It's impressive, but being lost, however, we didn't know what it was when we snapped the picture.
Rome by NightRome by Night
Rome by Night

The Trevi Fountain. This is also quite hidden from the main roads and not nearly as easy to find, the first time, as we were expecting. When you visit, beware the hordes of men offering "free" roses.
The Italian CountrysideThe Italian Countryside
The Italian Countryside

The view from the train as we rode from Roma to Napoli. The scenery was breathtaking.
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Here we are in front of the Porta Marina in the ancient city of Pompeii. Pompeii, a thriving Roman colony, was buried by the volcano Vesuvius in 79 A.D. Ironically, the city had been founded in the 8th century B.C. upon the volcanic remains of an earlier eruption of Vesuvius.
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Here is a view of the Forum, with Vesuvius towering in the distance.
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Here I am on the Via del Abbondanza, one of many streets running through the ruins of Pompeii. The city is massive.
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

A mosaic in the entryway to a home.
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Pompeii was once very alive with color.
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

A fresco found on the side of a building. It is just so amazing to me that this painting has survived for so many years, even after the town's destruction so long ago.
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Excavations are still ongoing.
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Here's Seth in a Thermopolium. This was their version of a fast food restaurant.
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

This is called the Garden of the Fugitives. Here there are plaster casts of the remains of victims who were trying to escape. The casts were made by pouring plaster into the impressions left in the solidified ash.
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Here are the people in the Garden of the Fugitives. These casts were made by pouring plaster into the impressions left in the solidified ash. These people died in the streets trying to escape.
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Here you are looking through the Grand Palaestra and seeing the Amphitheatre in the background. The Grand Palaestra was a sort of outdoor recreation complex for teenagers, with a pool in the center. The Amphitheatre was built in 70 B.C. and could hold 20,000 people.
The Vatican CityThe Vatican City
The Vatican City

The tiny country is surrounded by a gigantic wall, except for the area near St. Peter's Square. We entered the Vatican through the museum.
The Vatican CityThe Vatican City
The Vatican City

At the museum with a view of the Basilica.
The Vatican CityThe Vatican City
The Vatican City

The Vatican Museum. There were so many amazing things on display here. We only saw a small portion of the museum, and yet, like the Louvre, we saw so much. It was incredible.
The Vatican CityThe Vatican City
The Vatican City

The Vatican Museum map room.
The Vatican CityThe Vatican City
The Vatican City

The Sistine Chapel. For me, this possessed great beauty and inspiration.



12th March 2007

Ahhh... scaffolding!
Ahhh, there is scaffolding behind the Spanish steps!!! As a fan of Rome's chaos, I love the write up and pics. When my site goes live, will you contribute??? I'll give yo man mo details when he arrives. Ciao.
12th March 2007

Outstanding
What a wonderful job you did of travel blogging! Thanks for all the photos and thanks for taking the time to do this for us. I am wanting to go to Italy so badly! I have book marked your travel blog so I can continue reading for later. Anyway, thanks again. You took my breath away.

Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb