Florence to Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
January 6th 2024
Published: January 18th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Train station in FlorenceTrain station in FlorenceTrain station in Florence

Departure boards list each route and, as the platform is assigned, riders are allowed into the platform area. Actually works quite smoothly.
Our hotel was very close to the train station so we walked over. Knowing where to enter and getting up the stairs was a bit of an issue. I’m sure there was an entry with ramps but we made it in. Figured out the departures board, got a cappuccino (Mike) and, since we were over an hour early, found a place to sit and people-watch. When our train to Rome had a platform assigned, we headed down, found our car (on the tickets) and seats. We had chosen them when we bought the tickets. Fast train and they meant it! Quiet, clean, luggage racks at front and back of car.

Off the train in Rome, found the taxi stand and went to Airbnb. The owner was waiting for us and showed us in, down an elevator (not as small as the one in Isle of Man last spring — we both fit with luggage), and showed us the back exit, too. Nice little efficiency, very close to St Peter’s. Since that was the main reason we came to Rome, it was just right.

Weather was clear so we left our coats and walked down the back steps, stopped for
Waiting for our trainWaiting for our trainWaiting for our train

Of course, we were at lest an hour early!
a glass of wine and chatted with a friendly waiter. He was originally Brazilian, had been a flight attendant for several years. He and his wife were now living in Rome but were planning to move on as it is hard to live in Rome. Work is one thing but also landlords cannot evict a family with children and they have a daughter so have been having trouble fining a place to rent. Nice guy.

We wandered a bit, up and down the block, window shopped, got to St. Peter’s Square and looked around some. Today was Saturday and Feast of the Ascension so the Pope was busy; we’ll return tomorrow as he addresses the crowds mid-day.

We had reservations for dinner at Pommodoro, one of the restaurants visited by Stanley Tucci in his series on regional foods in Italy. Featured for the carbonara, it was a nice little neighborhood restaurant. We were the first ones there; our reservation was for 7, when it opened. Great folks, rushing around seating all the crazy Americans in between the local regulars. They have their own line of wine which we had. The carbonara was great, as were all the other
On the train.  On the train.  On the train.

Our tickets told us the car number, row, and seat in the car. We chose the seats when we bought the tickets. Fast train. Nice ride.
dishes we had. The melon in the melon & prosciutto was really tasty. Nice relaxing evening. Hostess/waitress called a cab for us, even.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

View from the trainView from the train
View from the train

But we were going very fast!
RomaRoma
Roma

Checked into our Airbnb. An efficiency just blocks from St. Peter’s. The front entrance was at the top of a hill. This is the back entrance and stairwell to the street below.
Orange treeOrange tree
Orange tree

In a neighbor's backyard
Trash cansTrash cans
Trash cans

For recycling out on the street, on each street.
Rest and relaxRest and relax
Rest and relax

On the four block walk to St. Peter’s…
Pommodoro RestaurantPommodoro Restaurant
Pommodoro Restaurant

For Tucci’s ‘best carbonara’ for dinner. Been a boon for them, at least in numbers of Americans.
DessertDessert
Dessert

Lemon sorbet for me; tiramisu for Mike


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb