Sunday everything closed


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 8th 2019
Published: September 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

A little slow off the mark this morning...but so was the rest of Rome.

It is so warm here we have a developed a constant shine...no wonder they have lovely skin. Some pretty looking storm clouds but no storm arrived.

Out at 9am & the streets are quiet. Using the new Metro is so easy. It does not appear to have affected the other modes of transport as the buses & trams are still constant & full. We enjoy people watching on the Metro, you name the nationality they are there.

We changed route at san Giovanni onto the red line to Spagna. Quite a crowd at the 'Spagna Steps' already & so I didn't climb them this time. So we HAD to walk past all those amazing shops on the 'expensive street' with all the label clothing. What a shame it's Sunday & they were all labelled 'Chusio' (closed).

We arrived at the end to Popolo Piazza past a couple of Hotels looking very important with their dark vehicles with dark windows with dark men in dark suits...on the ready to go at any important minute.

Another musical busker seemed to have the whole Piazza to himself...it did sound quite good as a consequence.
We aimed for the stairs to take us up to Borghese Gardens. They look out over Popolo & the wider Rome. A few spots of rain (which came to nothing) so we headed into the gardens. A truely tranquil part of Rome. Lots of people/families strolling, running, sitting, children playing, riding those 4 person bike things & Brian was chasing squirrels.
We walked through the park with it's many paths & many seats..yah for me today (the footpaths & cobbled streets take a little getting used to again....). Spent a bit of time enjoying the shade before leaving the park at the........gate. Weaved our way downhill through footpath Restaurants & enormous Plane trees & flashy Hotels to Barbarini Metro to find it closed so we (like everyone else) had to squeeze onto the narrow footpath to the next Metro stop at Termini, no change of plan make that Repubblica. The Metro was crowded, Sunday in Rome was now awake!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb