Bologna - tagliatelle not spaghetti


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Emilia-Romagna » Bologna
August 16th 2017
Published: August 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Bologna is known as a foody paradise. The first thing we learned is that bolognese sauce is definitely NOT used with spaghetti rather parpadelle or tagliatelle which enables the sauce to stick to the pasta so now the grandchildren will have to adjust as we move into our “authentic Italian” phase!! Mortadella and parmigiana reggiano are also local specialities and we sampled them all after an excellent pasta making demonstration at lunch.

The most interesting aspect of the Bolognese architecture are the porticos to extend a house to create rooms for students as the University of Bologna has about 50,000 students. The porticos stretch from between 37 and 45 miles so no need for a hat or umbrella!!

Highlight - was an unexpected one - a quick visit to the university to see the Museum of Anatomy and Library. The dissection room from the 18th century was fascinating - two throne like chairs for the supervising doctors, the slab for the dissection, tiered seating for the students all surrounded by sculptures of famous doctors including Hypocrites. We then were taken for a “surprise” (you can never be sure what that may entail as the guides are all very passionate about their towns and they all love EVERYTHING and want us all to see EVERYTHING!). However on this occasion she was right. It was the most magnificent library which, literally, stretched as far as they eye could see - over 12,000 books.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



21st August 2017

Amazing!
What a fabulous adventure! Experiencing it all!
21st August 2017

Bologna
Yes, much more than food. Some good surprises there for the visitor.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb