Views all the way to Praiano


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Praiano
May 9th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.6118, 14.524

A superb walking day - The predicted thunderstorms held off and we were treated to sunny and pleasant weather. As usual the day started off with steps up - there really is no other way out of Amalfi if you are walking. Then we had a really scenic gradual ascent up to Lone and Vettica Minore. After this the landscape was even more impressive as the cliffs made a sheer drop into a very narrow fjord-like valley. The track had to take us right up to the head of the valley to get around the chasm and to Fiodo, the town which seemed to defy gravity by clinging to the rocks.

At Sant' Elia we had an important decision. Should we take the track with steep drop offs, or choose the vertigo avoidance route? Well we couldn't pass up the Sentiero dell'Agave in fiore (The Path of the Agave in Flower). The track was quite rough and rocky in place and sections were overgrown with very tall grasses. We we able to push past the and find the path which certainly did go along the rim of some very long and steep drops. It was best not to look down too often.

The track really did live up to its name as there were a huge amount of cacti (agave), some of which were in bloom, all along the route.

We made good time on the track today, arriving in Praiano in the early afternoon so had a very chilled couple of hours before the obligatory reward of an Aperol Spritz.

Praiano appears to be a pleasant laid back town and we enjoyed a great pizza at the local Trattoria. Walking back to the hotel we enjoyed the very Italian spectacle of the caribinari trying to officiate over a



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb