Mediterranean Cruise: Pompeii/Sorrento-Day Four


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
October 5th 2012
Published: October 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

After breakfast at the Garden Café we boarded our tour bus and were off to Pompeii a 30 minute drive from Naples.

Our tour guide, Enzo, did a wonderful job describing ancient Pompeii and what life was like for those who called Pompeii home before that fateful day, August 24, 79 AD, when Mt. Vesuvius rained death upon not only Pompeii, but Herculaneum and Stabiae.

Unfortunately, we did not see either the brothel or Colesseum on this tour as we did four years ago. However, that did not diminish the awe we experienced once again as we walked on the cobblestone streets once used centuries ago.

From Pompeii we drove an hour to Sorrento, a lovely town on the Bay of Naples. We were given 1 ½ hours to explore on our own. They first took us to a parquetry shop before setting us free. A waste of valuable time. If you take this tour, ditch the group as soon as you get off the bus.

We bought some olive oil and herbs made in the region for dipping, enjoyed a pizza, watched local kids being dropped off their “school bus”, and soaked in a life style so different than ours in the Midwest.

A short drive up the mountain brought us to a “farm” where we were served an antipasto of prosciutto, salami, freshly made mozzarella, and garlic bread. Wine produced at the farm was served. The entrée was a simple pasta in tomato sauce. A crème-filled lemon cake completed our meal. It was followed by a taste of limoncello, also made on the farm. YUCK!

On the drive back to Naples we stopped at another of those infamous “cruise approved” shops. This one sold cameos. I stayed on the bus. We were back to the ship by 5:00.

Dinner at Taste and the stage show Legends in Concert in the Epic Theater, featuring Elvis, Madonna, and Rod Stewart, ended our day in Naples.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb