Road trip to Firenze, via Pompei Scavi


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
April 3rd 2012
Published: April 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Pompei ScaviPompei ScaviPompei Scavi

Emily proudly shows off the Pompei site map with Mt Vesuvius looming, ominously, in the background.
Unfortunately, our stay in Amalfi was all too short. We had to depart early today for a long drive to Firenze. Our plan was to take the Autostrada all the way to Firenze, which is about 540km along the A1, and arrive by 5:30pm.

But if that wasn't enough, we wanted to stop in to see the ancient ruins of Pompei beneath Mt Vesuvius. After drinking almost two bottles of wine from this region, it was the least we could do.

While we tried to leave early, we couldn't. The streets (I use this term loosely) of Amalfi are closed until 8:30am to ensure the school children have a safe passage to school. So we were on the road by 8:45am for the return journey through the crazy coastal road.

We must have been passed by impatient locals at least 6 times and each time we wondered how those drivers were still alive. Given that Italians don't do anything in a hurry it is weird how they become so impatient when they get behind the wheel of a car or scooter.

After an hour or so, we reached the entry to Pompei Scavi, paid Euro 11 each to enter and went on our merry way. It is an eerie place. 60 hectares, of which 50 have been uncovered, of mostly well preserved buildings, streets, mosaics, frescos, pottery and other such ancient artifacts.

With only about 2.5 hours at the site, we did the best we could, without a guide, to see as much as we could. It wasn't enough time, but we had a long drive ahead of us.

After travelling at more than 130kph for about the next 4 hours, including a couple of stops at the "Autogrill" for lunch and a rest break, we finally reached Firenze by about 6pm. The tolls cost us Euro 33.80 for the day and the car parking at Hotel Mediteranneo (just outside the city centre) is Euro 20/day. It seems all parking in Italy is Euro 20 per day.

After a short walk of about 1 km, we reach our apartment in Via del Neri - almost right in the centre of Firenze. It is a lovey 2 bedroom apartment on the second floor and we are greeted by Mario, who takes time to show us around and help us with our itinerary for the next few days.

A quick stop at the supermarket for supplies and a taste of Florentine pizza (which is appalling) and we are ready for showers and bed. It's been a long day and we are looking forward to a relaxing day in the many gardens around Firenze.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb