The good life under the Amalfi sun


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
April 2nd 2012
Published: April 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Beach at Spiagga GrandeBeach at Spiagga GrandeBeach at Spiagga Grande

Black sand, pebbles, crystal water and an incredible view.
Today was rest day and there is no better place to rest than in beautiful Amalfi.

After a quick trip to the "supermarket" to grab breakfast and some panini for lunch, we took a stroll down to the pier and the beach. The beach is black sand and pebbles and the water is very clear. There were lots of tourists taking in the sun and it was amusing to watch the Europeans sunbaking on concrete and rocks around the pier.

Nick and Emily were deserate to post their postcards so we grabbed some stamps and headed back to our apartment for lunch. Susy and Lino were there to greet us, always happy and smiling (and smoking) and why not? What an amazing place to live. All Damian could say was "e una bella giornata!" His Italian is slowly coming back to him.

Lunch was wonderful - some lovely fresh prosciutto, pomadore, formaggio and panini. All of this with some vino bianco - Lacryma Christi Del Vesuvio. This wine is supposedly produced on the slopes of Mt Vesuvius. To top it off, we managed to get Facetime to work on our iPad and called Adriana, Anthony, Siena & Cristian,
Lacryma Christi Del VesuvioLacryma Christi Del VesuvioLacryma Christi Del Vesuvio

The story goes that when Jesus was ascending to heaven, he glanced down at the earth and saw the Bay of Naples. It was so beautiful that he wept tears of joy.
followed by a call to Suzy & Cameron. It was great to see their faces and hear their voices.

The afternoon was equally lazy. The ragazzi enjoyed the pool while Damian and Sue finished off the wine and then it was another walk around Amalfi to look through the stores and take some amazing panoramic photos of the coast line and the Plazza Duomo.

There is so much to see and do here, including the famous walk down the steps from Scala to Amalfi, but we will not get the chance to do so as our stay is short. Maybe this experience will be for another time (Sue and Damian returning, sans ragazzi!).

Back at our apartment now, the pomodoro is slowly cooking and Emily is enjoying the aroma. The pasta tonight is Trecce - Pasta di Gragnano. Damian has had enough pasta for a month and will be cooking Risotto con Funghi Porcini for a change. Luckily another bottle of wine from the slopes of Vesuvio (this time it's red) is open - there was no choice, it was required to cook the pasta sauce properly...

After dinner there will, of course, be gelati for the kids. Then we will pack again and get ready for an early start tomorrow and a long road trip to Firenze.

Hopefully, we will find Pompei along the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb