The Playhouse of Pompei and The Drive Through in Napoli


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
February 10th 2008
Published: March 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Earlier this week, Molly’s parents, sister, and grandparents arrived to Rome. Saturday, we decided to join Molly and her family on a tour of Napoli and Pompeii. Bridget, Jess, Sam, Molly and her family, and I were down in the lobby at 6:00AM, waiting for the bus to come pick us up. We rode on a charter bus for three hours to Napoli. It was great getting out of the city of Rome to see the countryside of Italy. We reached Napoli and literally just drove through it. I wasn’t too impressed. Personally, I thought the city was dirty. We did stop for a photo opportunity. At this spot, the view of the ocean and nearby islands was beautiful. We were stopped for approximately 10 minutes then hopped back on the bus to make our way to Pompeii. The drive wasn’t long at all.

When we arrived in Pompeii, we had lunch and set out to explore the ruins. It was like a big playground for us girls! Our tour guide, Franco, was not the best guide… so we took it upon ourselves to make some fun out of the situation. The most fascinating sight was seeing the ash people. When the volcano erupted, the ash perfectly preserved the people. They were like mummies plastered in ash! We saw what their exact body position was seconds before they were killed by the volcano. Pretty cool huh?

We also got a kick out of the famous frescos of Pompeii- the dirty sexual paintings. Molly’s grandpa did request more time in this building, but it wasn’t granted.

I fully enjoyed the adventures we had in the ruins of Pompeii. The whole ancient city was preserved so well! We returned to Rome that night, and Molly's grandparents treated us to dinner. We all were extremely tired and exhausted from the day's journey.

On Sunday, we attended mass at Saint Peter’s Basilica. Before mass, we stopped for breakfast at a small little cafè. I ordered my usual chocolate cornetto and a cappuccino, but THIS cornetto was to die for. It was HEAVY because it was FILLED with nutella. Heaven in my mouth! 😉 We stayed for the Pope’s Blessing then returned home to the Tiziano. I spent the rest of my day on the steps of the Victorio Emmanuele Monument reading and doing homework. The sun was shining, and the view was absolutely gorgeous. I climbed to the very top to get some good pictures.






Additional photos below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb