Life and Death at the Foot of Vesuvius


Advertisement
Europe » Italy » Campania » Naples
October 22nd 2016
Published: October 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

<em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Day 268 Wednesday 12th October 2016 – Florence to Naples I may have warned Scott about Naples but secretly I am so excited to be returning, I loved it and hope it lives up to those memories. First we have to get there, grabbed a bite at the station and waited to board our train, it was another high speed one that took 3 hours. The train got to s... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Naples - museumNaples - museum
Naples - museum

Incredible Mosaic
Naples - museumNaples - museum
Naples - museum

Alexander the Great Mosaic
Naples - museumNaples - museum
Naples - museum

Flying penis with bells -WTF??
NaplesNaples
Naples

Altar of the Cathedral
NaplesNaples
Naples

A very unusually quiet street of Naples
HerculaneumHerculaneum
Herculaneum

The old city with new behind
HerculaneumHerculaneum
Herculaneum

The wharf area
HerculaneumHerculaneum
Herculaneum

Incredible Mosaic
HerculaneumHerculaneum
Herculaneum

Looking down at the Wharf area and all those bones
NaplesNaples
Naples

Street Shrine
HerculaneumHerculaneum
Herculaneum

Painted villa
HerculaneumHerculaneum
Herculaneum

Human remains in the boat sheds
HerculaneumHerculaneum
Herculaneum

Wharf area



26th October 2016
Pompeii

Oh happy day!
So thrilled that both of you loved Napoli and the sites, and it wasn't overly crowded! Great score with your pension, seafood and wine, time with the Cristo velato and that Alexander mosaic--both so splendid. Big positive change since I was there 17 years ago. Those trains to Sorrento (and the archaeological sites) used to be full of Roma women begging in pitiful whining, totally annoying voices--you would have noticed them. And I made use of that mafia ER in the public hospital after spraining my ankle on those stone streets in Pompeii in a hail storm. You were right--it was bedlam (but free)! Hope your last stops also leave you with sweet memories!
26th October 2016
Pompeii

Oh happy day!
Only spotted the occasional Roma and one was a family tackling each other on the crowded train back from Pompeii. Shelley coped it bad with them when she was here 30 years ago as well, so it would appear they have settled down or moved on. Have seen heaps of tourists on crutches in Italy it would appear that it is still the "must have" Italian souvenir.
26th October 2016

Perfect Timing!
Good blog to read today as we are thinking about visiting Pompeii and Sorrento very soon. We are currently staying on the island of Procida in the Bay of Naples (near Capri). We see Vesuvius, Sorrento and Capri from our terrace every day and now we have your pictures to go along with our distant view. Good adventures in Naples and we are enjoying following along on your trip! Can't wait to see where you go next!
26th October 2016

Perfect Timing!
Procida sounds pretty good. Met a lot of people escaping the madness of Naples for Sorrento but never got there ourselves, but we can certainly recommend Naples if you love chaos. Been really enjoying your blog and sapping lots of details for our travels in particular Prague and Venice, thanks for all the great advice.
27th October 2016
Pompeii

Just gorgeous!
27th October 2016

The real thing...
I was disappointed when your blog ended! We loved Naples and were so upset that we had only planned one day there. The seem to be quite a lot of changes from when we were there six years ago, so Shelley must have really noticed the differences. You clearly survived the cheap vino - what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger? :)
27th October 2016

The real thing...
We both felt that Naples was the real Italy or perhaps the Italy we always imagined and wanted to see. 3 days there was not enough especially as we spent two of those days outside of the town. As a bonus for us it had the best and cheapest food and booze. Not sure I would want to live there long term but hopefully we will be back someday - add it to the long list.
12th November 2016

Scratching the surface
We would love to walk these streets and explore the history. It is always so wonderful when you end up staying some place with an amazing view or rooftop. How wonderful. Sorry to hear that Scott missed an opportunity to play the air guitar. So many memories of the strong Italian coffee. We hope to go back to Italy soon. We have not been to this location yet. You've moved it up on our list. Life is too short to drink bad wine. Great blog.
12th November 2016

Scratching the surface
As you well know, there are just so many fantastic places to visit in Italy that it is very hard to short list. For us Pompeii was up near the top and for Shelley a revisit to Naples was at the top. Not sure if we will get back to Italy (sure hope so) and if we do we will be back at Naples, just love the place to bits. Thanks heaps.
12th November 2016
Herculaneum

Photo moment
Makes you stop and think about the past.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb