More Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Naples
May 2nd 2008
Published: May 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


PompeiiPompeiiPompeii

Temple of Jupiter with Mt. Vesuvius looming in the background
So I've been back from spring break for almost a month, and I still haven't posted about the rest of my trip on here. I have been busier than usual writing papers and studying for upcoming finals. I am currently done with classes, but I have to test to prepare for and 5 papers to finish before I head home in a little more than a month. But here I am, taking a break from studying to put up some pictures from my last couple days of break.

After long day in Rome, we took the train down to Naples, Italy. The weather was beautiful. Naples is a nice little town on the coast. We were hoping to find a sandy beach to relax on, but the coastline was pretty rocky. We did have a nice dinner by the ocean though. We also tried some genuine Italian pizza, since it was invented in Naples.

Our second day in Naples, we took a short train ride to Pompeii excavation site. This was probably my favorite place we visited. Pompeii was an ancient Roman city that was covered in ash and lava when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79AD. The city was nearly perfectly preserved until the late 1700s or so when it was rediscovered. Since then, they have excavated almost the entire city, including several temples, an amphitheater, many public buildings, a bathhouse, and a bunch of houses. They also had on display many of the artifacts they found (pottery and such) and some plaster casts of victims of the eruption. We basically spent the whole afternoon walking around a city that looked almost exactly as it had 2000 years ago. The experience was kind of eerie but still very awesome.

That night, we took a train from Naples to Florence. We visited the cathedral which, compared to the Gothic cathedrals we had seen before, looked very Renaissance-y. We also went to the Science museum where the displayed a lot of old tools from Galileo's time (he was from Florence). Unfortunately, 2 of the 4 floors were closed for restoration but we still got to see the really neat telescope exhibit.

At the end of our second day in Florence, we took a night train back up to Paris... that was a loooong ride. In Paris, we saw a few more things we didn't have time to visited our first time through, including the Eiffel Tower all lit up at night. Then the next day, we traveled all the way back to Bangor.

The End


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Marketplace
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Garden inside one of the fancy houses
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Looking down on of the streets
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

House of the Baker
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

The Great Theatre
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Basilica di Santa Maria
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Basilica di Santa Maria
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Basilica di Santa Maria - inside the dome


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb