Statues and more statues


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Naples
October 16th 2015
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.84, 14.2529

We'll start with a word of warning. Bird says should you not be as enamored with Rome as HP, this may become a bit tiresome. HP retorts who could not be? So, lets chat about the museum in Naples. A very rich Pope in the 16th century collected a ton of Roman art, and after Pompeii was discovered in the 18 century, the works from Pompeii were added to the collection he previously passed to his heirs. The museum is essentially the Pope's collection and works from Pompeii and Herculean.

HP was in Roman heaven, while Bird was just there. Just to think about what was setting in Roman living rooms, kitchens, etc. was ecstatic for him. Wow. He knows everyone will be glued to the pictures as he was taking them. They will follow.

How about a bit of information about Naples. HP recalls reading a book written by an official who accompanied Justinian's army that reconquered Italy commenting that Naples is gritty, not cute and the populace is less than desirable. Well, little has changed in 1500 years.

We read in tourist books not to drive in Naples as red lights are only considered by drivers as "suggestions", and cars are used as bumper cars. In fact, most of the cars we saw in Naples demonstrated distinct signs of previous contact with a foreign body (full of dents). Furthermore, we entered a number of intersections without a red light. Folks just nudged and butted in. Yes, it was scary. But are you ready for this?... We drove in this stuff, and emerged unscathed.

Okay now for different stories. We had a meal the last night in Rome that was as enjoyable as the one in La Spezia. We were looking for a place to eat, and one of us read a bit of Rick Steves where he advised to avoid tourist areas (really?) and just wander in back streets looking for a restaurant where locals visit. So we asked our host, and she recommended a place. Wonderful. Thursday night was buffet night so we were able to sample a multitude of different Italian dishes. We finished everything we put on our plates. Bird notes "the bread was unbelievable". Again, we were the only English speakers but were able to communicate. A couple sitting next to us, after consuming TWO bottles of wine started on something else. They gave us a taste in shot glasses, and pointed to wine that was 43% alcohol. We were aghast as they were drinking this full bottle hoping they did not drive. But they drank just a bit and left the opened bottle. Don't know how the bill worked, but very cute.

Finally, our apartment just outside of Sorrento (Meta) could hardly be more different than Rome. This place is wonderful. Very large with a patio facing the Mediterranean and a mountain. Nice.

Now that we have seen what was in the homes in Pompeii, we are off to see the actual city tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Yes, we know no more undefeated Falcons. Boohoo.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb