Hiking, Waterfalls & The Cathedral


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
September 30th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.6387, 14.6003

Sight-seeing of a different kind for us today in the form of a hike inland to the Valle delle Ferrier ( valley of the Forges). Walked uphill from Amalfi into the hills via a well marked route consisting of steps and stone paths past remote hilltop houses, lemon groves, medieval foundries and water-powered paper mills (Amalfi was once famous for its paper) We followed the river which was crystal clear and saw lots of waterfalls, some with sluice gates to divert the river. We ventured past the no-entry sign (along with other rebel walkers) to view a protected area of woodland (Reserva Integrale) which has a micro-climate where a particularly rare fern that lived in the ice age still grows with lots of other protected flora and fauna. We then retraced our steps a few hundred yards and took another route to a village called Pontone (a sign estimated a 45 minute walk time) We walked with a tour group of Germans until the route was wide enough to overtake. We seized our opportunity and made a break! At the first bar, we stopped for a cold drink (the German tour group caught up with us again) and then back to Amalfi using a shorter but steep route which took 20 minutes down thousands of steps. Freshened up, then into Amalfi to visit the Cathedral of St Andrew. More steps to climb but worth it as amazing inside. Also visited the crypt which holds the remains of St Andrew Apostle and the Cloister of Paradise which is a cemetery for the nobles of Amalfi. Walked along the sea front, then back to the square for dinner in a nice restaurant on our last night before moving on to Sorrento.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb