Why order pizza in London when you can go to the Amalfi Coast and get it with a side order of friends?


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
September 30th 2013
Published: October 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sometimes you bump into people you know in strange places...

So in the spring/early summer in Vancouver we bumped into our friends Marc and Heather (from Victoria) along the seawall. That was totally random and exciting as while chatting we found out that they would be in Italy later in the summer. We half jokingly agreed to keep each other posted on our travels in case we could arrange a meet up at some point. The meet up place turned out to be the Amalfi Coast in Italy. We flew into Naples and hopped a bus to the town where Marc and Heather had been staying for about a week, Maiori. We only got an afternoon, evening, and breakfast with them, but we did a heck of job of making it a fun one (drinks, antipasto platter/drinks, appetizers/drinks, pizzas/drinks). They kindly gave us all their experience and tips for the Coast, as we were there for another 5 days after they left.

The Amalfi Coast towns are carved right into the side of very steep cliffs. Lots of photos of terraced lemon, grape and olive groves. We did a lot of walking and spent a few days at our local beach. We also became regulars at the cheapest bar in town for pre dinner drinks at €2, which happened to be right on the beach. Some stinking hot days, but we still managed a hike here and there, to the next town and up a massive hill to a castle that was closed. Because we were there at the end of the tourist season you could visibly see the towns winding down.

As always the food in Italy was pretty amazing, we had a small kitchen so were able to stock up on delicious cheese, meats and bread from a local deli. Kimmy had more bread and pasta in those few days than she has in the last two years, as every meal was based on wheat and every restaurant had unique and good tasting bread. Fortunately the excessive wheat consumption did not lead to a return of her foot rash.

After the coast we were due for a quick city break in Napoli of two days. We jumped on the bus and headed for the Salerno train station then on to Napoli. The buses in these parts are absolutely crazy. They are always jam packed and sometimes you are loading or unloading your bags in oncoming traffic hoping the bus doesn't drive off without you or with you still crawling around underneath trying to find your bag. The roads are crazy narrow and it's amazing there are not several accidents on every journey. However, the fact that the roads are high up with ocean and town views makes the trip very scenic.

Stay tuned for a fun 2 days in the city!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A real Turducken?A real Turducken?
A real Turducken?

We think this is a duck, but also looks part turkey/rooster?!
What kids use as their playing fieldWhat kids use as their playing field
What kids use as their playing field

And they always lose their balls in the water and have to fish it out!


2nd November 2013
Sunset pic over the hills

Wow so beautiful :)!!!!!

Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb