The Assman Returneth


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Brindisi
April 16th 2009
Published: April 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Like the back of my handLike the back of my handLike the back of my hand

Turn left at the Porto gate, right at the one way, a quick right and left, down this street...
5th day - Wednesday
Oh glorious day! This has been a treat we have been looking forward to for quite some time. The big questions were: Will the asino (donkey) meat be available? Will our friends Sam and Terri like the meat? Will we drown in a plethora of ass jokes, puns, and plain old jackassery?
We started out late yet again (this was a pattern that we just couldn't seem to break). We dropped off Sam at one of the gyms close to Sara's apartment as he wanted to get in a workout.
With Sara in tow, she took us to the butcher of equine and asino meat. Stepping into the macelleria (butcher shop) we noted the difference in the odor between beef and the equine meat.
Happily there was asino meat at hand and so we bought a significant amount of tonnage of that and horseflesh for the night's bbq. The butcher also made us some ground asino for ass-burgers and horse sausages as a special treat for Sara.
We returned to pick up Sam and headed to one of the daily markets to pick up additional groceries. It was such a treat to be able to relive the
Down the main roadDown the main roadDown the main road

a quick right and quick left gets one headed on this road toward the...
experience of listening to the shouting vendors as they competed for one's business - not to mention being able to buy the freshest ingredients for a meal.
Later that same afternoon we popped in to visit our good friend Antonio at his alimentari (small deli & grocery store).
As luck would have it, he was just opening for the evening period and was occupied with unloading items from his vehicle. I snuck in while his back was turned. I stood so he couldn’t see my face and pretended to be browsing when he came in to set his items down.
I then turned asked him if he had wine for an old friend.
He instantly recognized me and in fact said that when he walked in that he had thought to himself, "I think I know that man."
Then Beth walked in and he was doubly surprised. Like old times we bought wine and some items for the evening antipasti. We were so touched that he was so emotional about seeing us and pleased that we had remembered to come see him. Then as a bonus, our old hardware guy came in to the store as we were leaving and
Brindisi's DuomoBrindisi's DuomoBrindisi's Duomo

Sara & Vincenzo will be getting married here.
he also recognized us.
I am happy to report that the bbq was a hit with our two novices to the horsey and ass meat. As the evening progressed and the vino flowed, the discussion turned to the possibility of acquiring some ass upon our return home.
Note: We’ve spotted three asses in a pasture not far from our house. Will the owners sell us one? Can we find someone to butcher an ass? It has to be a female ass apparently the male ass is tough and chewy. I’m sure there is a joke in there!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Our good friend AntonioOur good friend Antonio
Our good friend Antonio

My old friend Antonio became one of my informal “instructors” as I learned Italian during the time we lived in Brindisi. He has been working in that same alimentari since he was 10 years old.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb