Wonderful Sassi In Italy.


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Alberobello
September 16th 2018
Published: September 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Barri Airport.Barri Airport.Barri Airport.

A place to start our biking trip. First we need some luggage. Vivienne, Charlie, Ian, Lorraine, Diane and I waiting for ours.
Well, here are In Italy at the start of our touring and biking trip. We flew Bergen to Rome where we connected with Charlie and Viv, and Ian and Lorraine. We then flew to Bari where we were driven for and hour to Matera. We arrived at our hotel in the Sassi, an area that is known for it's cave dwellings, some in ruins, some restored and some in the more modern environment due to the government moving the people out of some of the older, unstable areas into new cave/rock or apartment accommodations during the mid 19 hundreds starting in 1952. Entirely dug out of rock along the steep slopes of a valley it is much more than I expected. When arriving at the Hotel Antico Convicino we had a young chap to help us with our luggage as we had a long way to climb down old stairways/ alleyways down to the hotel. Interesting going down on a hot hot day, but suddenly, going around a corner, there before you was the deep valley with the buildings laid out in front, below and above you and on the other side of the valley showing how extensive the area is.
The Cave Entrance of Our Hotel.The Cave Entrance of Our Hotel.The Cave Entrance of Our Hotel.

These places are wonderful and when checking in we were amazed.
It did make me stop and my thoughts were, wow, how amazing is this. It all looked unreal. So, into the hotel and our rooms. We actually had our own cave suite for the next 3 nights. Each couple in their amazing rooms that had been dug into the valley walls. Great rooms and of course great ambience. For the next 3 days we walked and explored, one day with a guide for 3 hours. Anna told us of the history and some facts of the dwellings. Lots of churches to visit and a lot of different views to give various perspectives of the whole area. This is an amazing area and sometimes I really wish that I could find lots of words to describe these wonderful sights we are able to visit. Also I wish I was a more proficient photographer so that I could set the scene for these places. At night time, as I wander about after our evening meals, I see the locals talking, walking and calling to each other. This is one of their very social times, and mine, and I love just strolling and listening. Also in Sassi, from some of the high vantage
Breakfast Any One. Breakfast Any One. Breakfast Any One.

Not very often that we sit down to breakfast in a cave.
points I would just sit and look at these magic views, lit up by the subdued lighting, and I love it. An amazing place well worth the visit.

From Sassi we were driven to Alberobello which is the heart of the Trulli area. This is a magic area as well with lots to see and take another few hundred photo's of. Our accommodation here was an actual Trullo which was amazing in how it was constructed and when we walked the area and viewed the streets it was all fascinating. Another amazing place, well worth a visit and so full of history.

So now our biking begins and my next blog will lay out what, how and where we go. Pip/ Rod.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Sassi. Sassi.
Sassi.

Amazing dwellings, some derelict, but some still in use.
Sassi.Sassi.
Sassi.

Out of the lots of photo's I took, I found i couldn't catch the magic of this place.
Our Own Trullo.Our Own Trullo.
Our Own Trullo.

This was our hotel room for a night.
Inside Our Trullo.Inside Our Trullo.
Inside Our Trullo.

Very comfortable but even Di had to duck under the doorways.
A Landscape Of Trulli.A Landscape Of Trulli.
A Landscape Of Trulli.

This is an amazing area and we walked for ages just taking it all in.
Refreshment Time.Refreshment Time.
Refreshment Time.

Walking is good for you but sometimes the heat is to much so refreshments are needed. A roof top cafe with an interesting view.
Our Evening Meeting.Our Evening Meeting.
Our Evening Meeting.

Making like an Italian family. On our porch enjoying a drink and a discussion about what we are up to tomorrow.
Night Time Trulli.Night Time Trulli.
Night Time Trulli.

Lighting sometimes changes the whole mood of the view.
Get On Your Bike.Get On Your Bike.
Get On Your Bike.

So the energy levels rise and the biking begins with lot to see and a few k's to go.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb