Looking for Bing Crosby and Christmas in Kilarney


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
May 21st 2011
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.05, -9.51667

We started off on the right foot this morning. We were at the right bus station. The ride was shorter today, only 1 1/2 hours. We began under cloudy skies and arrived in the pouring rain. A portion of the morning was spent updating our journal since it was raining and wifi was available in the shopping outlet attached to the bus station. When that was completed we set out in the rain to locate our lodging. Along the way was our lunch stop.

It was actually not too far to the hostel. Our trip planning sure paid off today as the distance was quite short. It was located in the center of the city activity. After getting settled we did some reading to wait until the rain subsided. Eventually it slowed down enough to venture out. Rich started taking pictures of the fronts of the many pubs along the Kilarney streets. They are unique in design and some quite colorful. Every second or third storefront is a pub. Many of them serve food and offer traditional Irish music in the evenings. We are planning to visit a couple tonight to experience Kilarney's flavor of Irish music.

In the later afternoon we toured the city streets visiting some of the shops. We noticed several tour buses unloading tour groups and wondered how crowded the streets will be in the summer months since they already seem to be filled with tourists. We were also glad we are on our own and not restricted to following tour guides in large groups. We go where we like, see what we want and on our own time schedule. Of course today we stuck close to our lodging because of the rain. It's a good thing we will be spending two days here so tomorrow we can see some of the sites beyond the city and surrounding area.

Our receptionist who checked us in,Kyra, was from Gdansk. She carried on a lengthly conversation about our last name and her wishes to visit America. She gave us a good recommendation for dinner. We chose the Irish version of beef lasagna which again was served with salad and a choice of baked potatoes or french fries. It was quite good. During our dinner the sun came out and we were able to take a few photos in the sunshine.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



21st May 2011

Love all your pics, but right now it's about 5 p.m. and haven't eaten yet, so the food pics look especially good. Enjoy each day and keep posting. I love not only the pics but the comments. So glad you're having a good time!!!!
22nd May 2011

Are you guys about ready to leave Ireland? The next dignitary coming your way is none other than our president. Evidently he has roots in Ireland, cousins, etc. Anyway, keep havin' fun, keep sending pics and stories. Love all of them. Ot
her than missing you guys, we're all good here.

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb