Ireland's Most Beautiful Drives


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
March 20th 2017
Published: March 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Ireland's Most Beautiful Drives



If you are in Ireland, you just have to go for a road trip; it’s as simple as that. Just in case you are planning to get out of the city and explore the gorgeous landscapes in the near future, don’t miss the opportunity to experience at least a few of the absolutely stunning drives on this list. With this list, and your car insurance from Chill Insurance, you’ll be all set!

The Atlantic Drive (County Mayo)




The routes of the Atlantic Drive consist of two loops, beginning with the Currane Peninsula which leads to the Achill Island. Popular sites while driving through the peninsula include the Clew Bay and its 365 islands, the Golden Strand, Mulranny, the Croagh Patrick, Mwreelrea, the Sheefry Hills, the Maamturks in Connemara, Clare Island, Achill Beg Island, the Spanish Armada Memorial, Dooghbeg, Bolinglanna and much more. Once you reach Achill Island, the actual Atlantic Drive begins on the side of the magnificent Atlantic Ocean, close to Clare Island and Achill Beg. We recommend visiting Minaun Heights just outside Dooega as the steep hill-top offers a spending view of the entire Achill Island. Sometimes, you can even see the Blacksod Bay and the Belmullet Peninsula on a clear day from there.

The Military Road (County Wicklow)




The Military Road Drive is popular for a reason and that reason is the utterly gorgeous scenery that lies all around. You will be driving on the back of the Wicklow Mountains via the British made roadsand witness natural splendours gone wild with greenery, blue skies and beautiful clear water lakes. Starting from the Glencree German World War Cemetery to the historical site of Glendalough, it’s all an experience of a lifetime for many. If you feel like it, nobody will be stopping you from swimming in the shimmering Guinness Lake either; in fact, we recommend it!

Causeway Coast




Although not as well known as some of the others, the drive from Giant’s Causeway to Belfast is one of the most scenic ones in all of Ireland. Watching the sun set while you drive along the legendary Giant’s Causewayis something that you will just have to experience to understand. If you visit Ratlin Island just nearby, you can actually see Scotland clearly from there. There are ancient castles for you to look at while you drive by, but you are free to stop and see all that you want to as well. Just remember to take the coastal road and not the new main road. Granted it will take you longer to reach Belfast via the coastal road, but unless you are in a hurry, the delay is of no significance in contrast to the scenic beauty which you will experience.



This list is by no means exhaustive. There’s also the drive from Clonakility to Old Head of Kinsale, the Sheep’s Head Peninsula, Copper Coast, Sperrin Mountains and so much more that await the traveller. To clear a bit of confusion and make things easier for you, we produced an ebook on the most beautiful drives in the entire country. You will need many road trips to drive through each of these beautiful sites at least once and every one of those road trips will be worth it and then some.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.503s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb