Ireland - Where it rains.


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
October 8th 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Belfast - Political MuralsBelfast - Political MuralsBelfast - Political Murals

Just an example of the murals that we saw in Belfast and Derry.
We arrived safe and well in Belfast in the rain. Later we found this would be a reoccurring event in Ireland. Because we were travelling with Stephen’s parents they took the luxury of travelling by taxi to our hostel. I can hear the outcries from over hear, crazy I know.

Let’s just say Paddy’s Hostel Belfast - WORST hostel ever. Now that I have that off my chest I can give you the low down of what we did in Belfast.

We arrived in the afternoon and spent the afternoon strolling around the city, we saw the town hall and the information centre. This gave just enough information to plan our time in Belfast; we had one and a half days before we picked the car up to cruise the Causeway Coastal Drive. We headed to the St. George market, heaps of yummy fresh food (prefect time to buy things for dinner) and then headed to see the Belfast Cathedral, Grand Opera House, Belfast Waterfront Hall and we tried to find the Titanic Centre but it was all run down and really a nothing. We spent the afternoon exploring the political murals of The Falls Road and The Shankill
Bushmills Distillery Bushmills Distillery Bushmills Distillery

The first time Pauline has ever taken a drink of alcohol (as I am aware) so we had to take a photo for proof.
Road. They were fantatic and it was an eye opening experience, the fence separating the two was so big, it reminded both Stephen and I of the one being built in Jerusalem at the moment.

For those who don’t know, the Falls Road is the main road through West Belfast in Northern Ireland. Its name is synonymous with the Catholic and republican communities in the city. It is easily known as one of the more famous streets in Northern Ireland, drawing many tourists all year round. The neighboring Shankill Road is predominantly Protestant, separated from the Falls Road by peace lines.

After this we checked Jan and Pauline into a hotel and meet up again for dinner at the hostel. The next day in the rain we walked to Jan and Pauline’s hotel, picked up the new rental car Renault Megane Scenic and we hit the road.

The first stop on the coastal road was meant to be the Carrick-a-Red Rope Bridge, unfortunately it was blowing a gale and we decided to try tomorrow. Considering the weather was so yuck we headed indoors like many others to the Bush mills Distillery, the world's oldest licensed whiskey distillery.
Bushmills DistilleryBushmills DistilleryBushmills Distillery

Stephen enjoying a Hot Toddy.
This gave ALL of us the chance to try their whiskeys, 10yr old, 16yr old, Black Bush and Hot Toddy. A hot toddy is whiskey served in a shot glass with hot water and spices. It was so yummy it warmed the cockles!!

Since we had booked a fancy hotel, the Ramada Portrush, that night we headed straight to the hotel. It was luxury. So nice after feral Belfast. Since it was a Saturday night we headed out for dinner and drank some more local beer. The next morning I can report that we all went to mass and it was the quickest I have ever attended; it was great. It was better weather and so we headed back to the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, where traditionally fishermen erected the bridge to Carrick-a-Rede Island over a 23m-deep and 20m-wide chasm to check their salmon nets, now we along with a few other tourists just came for the view and crossing. The bridge is taken down between November and March and crossings are weather permitting. Not sure how it was still open the day before!!

From there we headed to the Giants Causeway along with heaps of tourists. It is
Carrick-a-Rede Rope BridgeCarrick-a-Rede Rope BridgeCarrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge

Michelle in the middle of the rope bridge.
a short walk down the hill. Everyone walks with such a pace in high anticipation of the causeway and we were no different. We got there and realised that someone was missing, The Cow. It couldn’t possibly miss something as huge as the Giants Causeway. My hero Stephen turned around and high tailed it back to the car to collect The Cow. The Cow was happy to have its photo taken even though it was getting wet with the spray from the Atlantic Ocean.

Here is the story of the Giants Causeway…
Long ago, an Irish giant named Finn MacCool roamed the north coast, where he could look across the narrow sea of Moyle to Scotland. A Scottish giant, Benandonner, was Finn’s greatest rival, challenging his strength and reputation. As the two giants had never met, Finn decided to invite Benandonner to Ireland, to engage in a decisive battle. There was no boat large enough to carry giants, so Finn built a causeway of huge stones across the water so that the Scottish giant could travel on dry land; thus he would have no excuse to avoid the confrontation. However, as big Ben approached, Finn realised to his horror
Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge

The view from the main land with the rope bridge stretching to the little island.
that his opponent was a larger and more fearsome rival than he anticipated. He fled to his home in the nearby hills, and like any sensible man, asked his wife for advice. Oonagh, a practical woman, disguised Finn as a baby, complete with large nightgown and bonnet. She placed him in a huge, hastily made cradle, telling him to keep quiet and pretend to sleep, as Benandonner’s great shadow darkened the door. Oonagh brought the Scottish giant in for tea, pleading with him not to waken Finn’s child, Looking at the massive ‘baby’ lying in the cradle, Benandonner took fright, saying that if this was the child, he had no wish to meet the father. He fled back to Scotland, ripping up the Causeway behind him, terrified that the awful Finn might follow him home.

From the Causeway we headed to Derry or Londonderry, depending on what side of the fence you lived. Unfortunately due to it being a Sunday, not a lot was open, but we managed to have a look at the Guild Hall, walk the Wall city, see a Gaelic footy match from afar and see more political murals. We had a great night at the
Dunluce Castle Dunluce Castle Dunluce Castle

Jan and Pauline at Dunlace Castle near The Giants Causeway.
pub next door and enjoyed three courses and some more local beers.

We left Derry the next morning and drove what was meant to be a short drive to Dublin. But the only problem was road works and we were driving into Dublin without a map. With some help and positive thoughts from our hire car rental company we saw all the sights of Dublin and delivered the car only a few minutes after midday when it was due.

We spent the next two days enjoying the sights, sounds, beer and the rain of Dublin. And was there rain!!!

We flew out to London in the afternoon, Jan and Pauline went straight to the Tower of London to collect some last minute presents and we went straight home with their suitcases. I don’t know how people travel with suitcases they are so annoying. Give me a backpack any day!!! Sadly they flew out that night we took the long tube ride to Heathrow and said a tearful good byes. That was that, their whirl wind tour of the UK was complete and we would have to wait months to see them again.

We hope you have
The Cow at the Giants Causeway The Cow at the Giants Causeway The Cow at the Giants Causeway

Now this is the important reason Stephen had to walk all the way back to the car. I think it was well worth it.
enjoyed reading our adventures with Jan and Pauline, it was a fantastic holiday and I am very glad I suggested we join them around the UK.

We hope that everyone is safe and sound back home.

Loads of Love.

Michelle and Stephen.
xoxox




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Giants Causeway The Giants Causeway
The Giants Causeway

Stephen and I at the Gaints Causeway.
The Giants Causeway The Giants Causeway
The Giants Causeway

Stephen at the Gaints Causeway.
The Giants Causeway The Giants Causeway
The Giants Causeway

The steps of the Giants Causeway.
Derry Derry
Derry

The famous "Free Derry" sign marking the entry to the 'Bogside', the area where the catholics lived.


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb