London and Bonfire Night


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Clapham
November 10th 2008
Published: December 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Stephen and IStephen and IStephen and I

At Bonfire Night
Bonfire Night in London.

For those who don't know Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes Night celebrates the Gunpowder Plot. Its name is given to the conspiracy to blow up the Houses of Parliament on 5 November 1605, which was discovered the night before. The plot centred around five conspirators, Robert Catesby, Thomas Winter, Thomas Percy, John Wright and Guy (or Guido) Fawkes, later joined by Robert Keyes, who determined to blow up of the House of Lords in 1605. The detonation was to take place on State Opening day, when the King, Lords and Commons would all be present in the Lords Chamber. There is no doubt that Fawkes, though remembered wrongly as the principal conspirator, was in fact a minor cog in the wheel. It is still the custom for Britain on, or around, 5th November to let off fireworks and children to make guys - effigies supposedly of Fawkes.

To celebrate Guy Fawkes, Stephen and I headed down to Clapham Common along with everyone else in the area. Even though it had been raining thourghout the day, there was a mass of people and sparklers. We decided to walk down to the common and the whole way
Bonfire NightBonfire NightBonfire Night

Fireworks
which was about a 30min walk you could hear and see locals and their fireworks. Our local supermarket had been selling them for a few weeks before.

It was an amazing display, I hope this is shown in the photos. It lasted for so long and it was themed to Star Wars music which I really enjoyed.

On the following Saturday, Fiona, Stephen and I headed to Leeds Castle (not in Leeds) for a Firework and Laser show specular, and an afternoon of jousting, falconery display and fudge. Despite the horrible weather it was a great day. We finished the evening with a meal at their local Bearstead Pub before we caught the train home.

I hope you enjoy all the photos. Even though the weather was feral it was a great night.

We hope that this blog reaches you all well and that you have been enjoying our stories.

Speak to you all soon.

Love,
Michelle and Stephen.
xoxo


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Bonfire NightBonfire Night
Bonfire Night

Fireworks in Clapham Common
Trying to Keep DryTrying to Keep Dry
Trying to Keep Dry

At Leeds Castle. Interesting to note here that the castle is not actually in Leeds and everytime we told someone we were going to Leeds Castle they would say 'You know it's not in Leeds don't you?'
FireworksFireworks
Fireworks

The Fireworks and laser show at Leeds castle was based on the story of King Authur and the Knights of the Round Table.


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb