Grand Tour of Ireland 2012 Day 11: Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Wicklow
July 2nd 2012
Published: March 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

And we are back to traveling! We headed over to the Wicklow Mountains of Interior Ireland! Those are great rolling green mountains with lakes in between them. The color of the lakes is almost a deep black due to the peat in them. They almost look like lakes of Guinness beer, which I am sure some of you wouldn't mind swimming in. My favorite lake was one in which the mountains proudly stood over with the lake deep down below.

Our main stop were the lakes and ruins at Glendalough. We strolled the monastery ruins of St. Kevin's church and it's crumbling tower. The green and mist dominated everything from the mountains to the trees and ruins. The tombstones of the cemetery also had a white sheet to them making them look really ancient and worn.

Colby and I then took the hike that lead you to the lakes. The view of the coming storm between the mountains with the lake in the foreground was AWESOME!!!! I wanted to stay there forever. I can see why people always say Ireland is a mystical land. I can just envision fairies and spirits coming in with the oncoming rain. And yes it did rain on us pretty hard as we ran to the tour bus.

The bus stopped by for some shopping on the way into Dublin but we are both burnt out on the shopping. Plus everything they had there we coud easily find a version of in the states.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb