Day 17 Cork to Wexford Town


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Wexford » Wexford
May 4th 2018
Published: May 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Jane was nice all day today. I dropped her off at a laundromat and left. Only kidding. Only one of those two sentences is true. The second! Luckily for me I’m kidding again.

Earlier in my posts I had mentioned about the cleanliness of the towns and environment. Since before Cork to today this has not been so. Maybe it’s the bigger towns? Just commenting on observations.

Travelled to Wexford today. Easy day. Stopped in three main towns, Dungarvan, Waterford and Wexford. We are staying at a very nice B&B, Glenhill, about 10km out of Wexford in the area of Barntown. Beautiful room, view, surrounds and host.

We spied Dungarvan from afar high up on the N25 looking across green fields sloping down to the edge of the town. The river Colligan wound its way through the town to the sea. On arrival we found many brightly painted buildings ringed the small picturesque harbour. We captured it at low tide. We wandered the town and I, with poor discipline, indulged in my morning ritual of a coffee and moist carrot cake with thick white icing on top and through the middle. Again it was the carrot that got me in!

Waterford was the town (city) Jane wanted to visit. Who am I to argue? It is Ireland’s oldest city at over 1100 years with a history that dates back to Viking times. It is a busy port city with a tidal river, the River Suir. Yes, now it is famous for the making of Waterford Crystal which is the main income earner for the city. We visited the large complex and fortunately we didn’t purchase any item. Well, being away for quite a while still, the item may break! We wandered the city centre for a few hours before slowly moving on.

Wexford Town was our destination and fortunately for us our B&B happened to be just before it. Easily found. Unfortunately, however a necessity, we spent too much time at an “outside” laundromat. As a result our wanderings of Wexford were not prolonged, in that only the Quay area was visited by foot and other streets by car where we observed a mixture of old-time pubs (definitely not unusual for Ireland), posh boutiques and boarded up or empty ex businesses. We read that the Wexford Town was founded by the Vikings and later nearly obliterated by Oliver Cromwell.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement












Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb