Connemara in the Rain


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Leitrim
April 24th 2015
Published: April 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Friday 24thApril. A cloudy day today. Once in a while a little sun would break through for a few minutes, but from one o’clock on it started to drizzle, with occasional rain showers. It gave a different look to the landscape, softer and more moody, with the mountaintops mostly shrouded by cloud. The Connemara scenery is very beautiful, endless lakes (loughs) and mountains. Very reminiscent of Scotland, but less lonely, with houses being more common. Some of the loughs are huge, but often the small loughs are the most scenic. Near the coast around Clifden it is very rocky, with vistas of grey limestone dominating the little houses that seem to pop out of the landscape, looking out of place.

Also near Clifden I found the site of Guglielmo Marconi’s original radio broadcasting station, a gigantic set of structures built in 1907 to transmit and receive across the Atlantic to Canada. I had seen it on the ‘Coast’ program on TV. Not much remains, mostly just a few foundations. I also saw the Kylemore Abbey in that area.

The B&B where I am staying, outside Sligo, is called Castle View, and it has just that. It overlooks Lough Gill and Parke’s Castle, which is a beautiful scene.

Too much driving today, tomorrow I have a short distance to go, so will spend more time stopped, looking at things, though the rain makes it difficult. Today I had to eat my picnic lunch inside the car, rather than my usual custom of finding a picnic table.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



27th April 2015

Moody weather
Colours looks muted and moody - the car sounded like the best place for lunch!

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb