Day 05


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Leitrim » Mohill
May 4th 2019
Published: May 4th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Sligo AbbeySligo AbbeySligo Abbey

Located in the old Abbey Quarter of Sligo, is the Abbey, which is a historic museum and is undergoing some reconstruction.
Day 05

A great night's rest, fastest internet speed I've ever seen in a public anywhere. The Riverside Hotel in Sligo is the place to stay.

Started the day with a nice leisurely breakfast, a nice morning walk to pharmacy for some incidentals, did some planning on where the old churches and cemeteries are going to be and working them into our route.

On our walk to the pharmacy, we came across the old Abby in town, that is undergoing some restoration. Interesting to see some of the work in preparation for it.

Today is Churches and Cemeteries, looking for some relatives that may have left during the famine years.

On our trip we are traveling on some not so major roads, some almost major roads, and some major roads. The highway numbering system here uses letters that seem to designate the road. Mnnn is a Major road, like a freeway in the states, the Nnn is a less travelled perhaps, and has a lane in each direction, and a wide shoulder. The Rnnn level of road has a line down the middle, two way traffic, but hardly any shoulder. The Lnnnn level road has no
St, Mary's Carrick-on-ShannonSt, Mary's Carrick-on-ShannonSt, Mary's Carrick-on-Shannon

One of the churches to see that may have information on ancesters.
line down the middle, little if any shoulder, and two way traffic, but you slow down to pass each other. There are also Lnnn series roads that have a grass line down the middle. We turned onto one of those, and then realized we made a wrong turn. ?

We arrived at Galway Bay Seaview apartments, around 5:30, checked in, and then started looking for a place to eat, a grocery store to purchase food for the apartment, since this will be our base for the next 3 days. A two bedroom with common area, and a fantastic view off the back deck.

And the search continues, and seeing sights as well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Inside St. Mary'sInside St. Mary's
Inside St. Mary's

The inside of St.Mary's in Carrick-on-Shannon.
St. Mary's in AnnaduffSt. Mary's in Annaduff
St. Mary's in Annaduff

Another St. Mary's in Annaduff.
LunchLunch
Lunch

Being told the Pubs have good food, we thought we would ask a local guy washing his business' windows where would be a place to get good local food. He said, the black sign at the end of the next block is great. So off we went. Jackie Duval-Keating, I thought of your brothers.
Inside JohnJames PubInside JohnJames Pub
Inside JohnJames Pub

What pub would NOT have a dart board.
Irish Stew of course.Irish Stew of course.
Irish Stew of course.

Irish stew, with cabage and carrots, and mached potatoes.
St. Patrick's at MohillSt. Patrick's at Mohill
St. Patrick's at Mohill

We came to town to see the church but decided to eat first, then head over to St. Patrick's. We could hear the alarm sounding inside, and went in to see what it looked like. A lady had gone in to do some work getting ready for Sunday, and said no one was around to turn it off, and "it was so dreadful".
Inside St. Patrick'sInside St. Patrick's
Inside St. Patrick's

No sound, so you can't hear the alarm going off.
st. Joseph's Cemeteryst. Joseph's Cemetery
st. Joseph's Cemetery

St. Joseph's church PURTH. The cemetery was did not have any headstones old enough to warrant a good look-see. Short visit here. The last on our church and cemetery tour of today.
A cemetary we passed on the roadA cemetary we passed on the road
A cemetary we passed on the road

It was in two sections. The first section was Church of Ireland, but on the other side of the wall, we saw Celtic Crosses, so thought it might be a Catholic section. Still no headstones readable. Those that were are too recent.
Nnnn series roadNnnn series road
Nnnn series road

A line down the middle defining lanes, and very little shoulder. Lots of pretty scenery along the road, homes, farms, pretty rock walls and livestock.
Mnn designated road.Mnn designated road.
Mnn designated road.

These are like freeways, divider between flows, and two lanes each direction, and a shoulder.
Another church we passed by.Another church we passed by.
Another church we passed by.

Not a church on our list, but it was on the road, and we thought we would have a look.
And prayers are answeredAnd prayers are answered
And prayers are answered

We didn't find a cemetery, but we were also needing a "comfort station". Around the back, unlocked, clean, and tidy. We looked in the church also,
A plot of land behind the church has several sheep on it.A plot of land behind the church has several sheep on it.
A plot of land behind the church has several sheep on it.

The sheep were also "branded" and I susect belong to the church because they had the Christian icthus symbol (fish) sparyed on them,
Scenic view again.Scenic view again.
Scenic view again.

As you can tell the country side is beaufitul. The farms seem to be kept up.
Lush green IrelandLush green Ireland
Lush green Ireland

Another view, with rock wall, sheep in the distance on other side of wall.
Abbey in AbbeyknocmoyAbbey in Abbeyknocmoy
Abbey in Abbeyknocmoy

It was just sitting all alone in a field.
Scenes along the road.Scenes along the road.
Scenes along the road.

Notice the little yelow flowered bushes, and sheep.
Our Backdoor view.Our Backdoor view.
Our Backdoor view.

We have a sitting area, and a great view of the Bay. Ships pass, people pass, and it is a great view. Thank you Gail.


Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb