Last Day: Blarney & Clontarf Castle Hotel


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry
July 11th 2010
Published: July 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today is our last day here in the magnificent Emerald Isle. It truly is a beautiful country. We have truly witnessed Irish eyes smiling and the lilt of Irish laughter. The Irish are a friendly lot and very interested in where you have been traveling and from where you originate. We have seen the insides of a lot of different pubs, lots of churches of which the Irish are so proud. They are a strong people because of all that they have experienced throughout history: wars, political struggles, poverty and famine. Nothing, not even the huge amount of "liquid sun" seems to get them down!


We visited the world famous Blarney stone which is a block of bluestone built into the battlements of Blarney Castle, Blarney about 5 miles (8 km) from Cork, Ireland. According to legend, kissing the stone endows the kisser with the gift of gab (great eloquence or skill at flattery). The stone was set into a tower of the castle in 1446. The castle is a popular tourist site in Ireland, attracting visitors from all over the world to kiss the stone and tour the castle and its gardens. The word blarney has come to mean "clever, flattering, or coaxing talk". I thought that you just went up to this stone, but oh, no! You have to lie down on your back and stretch down to the rock that is in the castle! At the same location is the Blarney Woolen Mill where you can find anything made having to do with Ireland. From woolen sweaters, t-shirts, Belleek and waterford to all the other junky souvenirs! It was a fun day though.

After that we went to Rock of Cashel whose rich history is reflected in its built heritage, from prehistoric raths to mediaeval monasteries and fortified town houses, a Georgian Cathedral and a 21st century Library. It was amazing to see how well intact that it was considering its age.

Then it was back to our last hotel called the Clontarf Castle that really is part castle that has been reconstructed maintaining its history. Great rooms, bars..........Had a blast....

See you soon!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb