Irish Tour Day 4 : Gap of Dunloe and a little Dingle


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry
May 30th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Gap of DunloeThe Gap of DunloeThe Gap of Dunloe

This road is closed off to cars in Summer and only the horse drawn carts areallowed through. Apparently it gets packed with walkers. Quite today.
Rain toady: good day for taking off for our next stop: The Gap of Dunloe.


From Lisdoonvarna (The Burren), we avoided Limerick city y going South to catch a car ferry from Cty Clare to Cty Kerry. A quick journey. Soon we got to Tralee and as it was still raining we visited the Kerry the kingdom Museum. This was well worth the stop. The emphasis was on Irish (Kerry) history (even prehistoric) with excellent displays that bring the history to life. Downstairs is a walk through medieval (1450) village street. Christine and Lauren had to be dragged out of the Spy exhibition (celebrating the life of a spy but I can't remember his name) where they lifted fingerprints and analysed their criminal tendencies. (it's not looking good for Christine, Herve or me but Lauren is a saint...we all knew this anyway. God only knows where she came from)



Lunch in a very homely pub in Tralee (it was raining and this is when Irish pubs come into their own) Beef and guiness pies and the usuals. all good.

We made a ittle attempt at seeing something anything) in Dingle and ended up getting as
Our ferry to KerryOur ferry to KerryOur ferry to Kerry

every hour on the hour. A great way to avoid the traffic of Limerick City
far as Inch which is a long finger of land shooting out on the South of Dingle. The girls ran around behind a sand bar for a few minutes but wind was gale force and I stayed in the car!


Slept a a YHA in the middle of nowhere (actually in the middle of the Gap of Dunloe). It was really basic but we met some great people, including a fellow travelling family from Texas, living in England like us. The girls were happy to meet Pearl another kid their age so they played cards and basically laughed for hours, just happy to interact. There was one horrible thing there which was the midges which I had never encountered before..they are vicious!

the Gap of Dunloe blows you away when you first come to it. It's awesome and breathtaking. No words I can use would describe its beauty. So just look at the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Herve being served at the Tralee Medievel village Herve being served at the Tralee Medievel village
Herve being served at the Tralee Medievel village

This is the recreation of a 1450 medievel street. Check out the bucket coming down from above!
Lifting fingerprints at the Kerry The KIngdom Museum TraleeLifting fingerprints at the Kerry The KIngdom Museum Tralee
Lifting fingerprints at the Kerry The KIngdom Museum Tralee

The spy exhibition took hours for the girls to get through!
 Tralee pub lunch Tralee pub lunch
Tralee pub lunch

Nothing quite like a warm pub when the rain is pelting down outside.
Kerry DrivingKerry Driving
Kerry Driving

This photo was taken on the Dingle road towards Inch
Inch Beach Dingle peninsulaInch Beach Dingle peninsula
Inch Beach Dingle peninsula

Gale force winds but still pretty


Tot: 0.384s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb